Wednesday, January 10, 2024

 Hello Parents! I am writing from my comfy chair at home! I sure hope we are at school tomorrow! We will be. I just know it! I hope your kids are enjoying their really long weekend! LOL I see more snow is in the forecast! I am praying it is just a little bit of snow! 


Calendar Dates:

Jan. 15- FAST testing begins

Jan. 17- Kindergarten/5th grade mass

Jan. 17- PTO Meeting 6pm

Jan.19- Spirit Day

Jan. 28-Feb. 2- Catholic Schools Week


Reading- Well things are pushed back with the snow days. We will finish up our story either on Friday or Monday. I will see how things go when we get back. Their story is called Celestial Railroad. It is about how many Chinese men came to America in the 1800s to help create the Transcontinental Railroad. It discusses the hardships of that job for all the men, but it does show how the Chinese workers complained less, did their job, but were still treated poorly. They started with 50 Chinese workers helping out, but with their work ethic being so strong thousands were there by the end! It was really interesting. In grammar they are working with subject and object pronouns- singular and possessive.  The spelling test was supposed to happen today, but that will be pushed back! 


Book Reports are due on January 26. I know some are struggling with making time to read their books. I told them they can't just read it at school. They need to take them home. They have a packet with the information needed on the project they chose.  If they need drawing paper or poster paper they can ask me! 


Math- We are in our chapter. Not very far yet! They worked with multiplying decimals by 10, 100, 1,000, and 10,000. I let them use calculators. Some of them figured out that the decimals moves to the right by the number of zeroes they multiply by. 10=1. 100=2. 


Religion- We are starting a new chapter when they return. This one I believe is on the sacraments. 

I gave most of them jobs to help with kindergarten class with at their mass next week. Some of them have reading parts to practice. 

Rosary- We are planning to hold a rosary for Perry. The plan was for Friday afternoon. I don't know if that is still the plan or not due to our snow days! I have some of the 5th graders leading it. If we have school on Thursday (which I think we will) I will let you know for sure! 


Lunch calendar- due to snow days our lunch calendar has had some changes! Tomorrow's lunch will be Sloppy Joes, green beans, chips and two fruits. I will keep the kids posted daily on the changes so they can plan accordingly. 


Recess- Make sure they have their boots, snow pants, mittens/gloves, and hats for recess! I am NOT excited about the cold temps coming our way! 

If you're at the store- could you get some wipes for our classroom?? Thank you!!! 

I hope everyone has a good end to their week and a great weekend! Stay warm. Drive safely!

God Bless, 

Miss Surma


No comments:

Post a Comment