Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Hello Parents, 

I hope you had a great weekend! I got my 2nd Covid booster and my flu shot on Friday! Fun fun!   I do love the cooler temps! 


Calendar Dates:

Oct. 7- Spirit Day

Oct. 14- No School/ PD Day

Oct. 21- Spirit Day

Oct. 28- Spirit Day


Reading- This week they are reading the story called Elisa's Diary. It is about a girl who moved from Puerto Rico to America. She is struggling with learning the English language when it comes to speaking, but she does a great job of writing it. She met a boy in her class who moved there from Guatemala. He is the opposite of her. He can speak English but struggles with writing it. They join forces to help each other out. By the end of the story she shows us that she became a teacher and helps other kids who struggle similarly. Our grammar this week is on plural nouns.  On Tuesday we filled out a "rule sheet" with examples of words and how we have to write them to make them plural. I told them that if I were them I would use that sheet on Friday when we take the test. Their grammar scores have been falling and I think it is because they are rushing. They also struggle with identifying nouns in a sentence.  

This is our last story in this unit. Next week they will NOT have a spelling test. They will have a unit test. I break it up over the 5 days. They need to remember to read these stories a couple of times. Typically this first test doesn't score the best for the kids. I will also be assigning the first book report project next week. They will get a packet with their choices of projects to do. They will choose one. They will need to okay their book choice with me also. All of that is written in the packet. 

Math- They have a math test over chapter one on Thursday. There isn't much for studying unless you want to give them decimals to find out which is greater and which one is smaller. They could also practice writing them in written form or expanded form. 

Religion- I had to pause the book because we are getting ready for the Rosary next Wednesday at mass. Some of the 5th graders have a part. I have emailed you about that. They will be leading the Rosary next week in the gym. You are welcome to join us. It will be at our normal mass time...9:15am. Father Patrick will be gone so there won't be mass that day. 

Substitute- I have a doctor's appointment the morning of October 4. There will be a sub in the morning that day. I will be back by lunch time. 

Please make sure that if you are notifying me about your child needing to leave early, come late, a change in the pick up plan or if they are sick that you also notify Mrs. Sanchez in the office. They need to hear the reason your child is leaving or is gone from you, not me. That way they can appropriately mark it in JMC, plus it gives Mrs. Sanchez the chance to get to know all the families. Thanks so much! Her email is ksanchez@crestonstmalachy.org.

Art- Next week the kids will need a paint shirt for art class! Nick Allen is bringing in pumpkins that the kids will paint for Hy-Vee! They will also receive a pumpkin to take home and paint or carve there. 


I hope everyone has a great weekend! I will be heading to Waterloo. It is my niece Olivia's homecoming. 

God Bless, 

Miss Surma


No comments:

Post a Comment