Thursday, September 22, 2022

Hello Parents! I hope everyone had a good weekend. I know that rain put a damper on Balloon Days activities! My soccer game in the rain was not as fun either!  


 Calendar Dates:

Sept. 23- 3 Hour Early Out/ homecoming/Spirit Day

Oct. 1- Spirit Day

Oct. 14- No School/ PD Day

Oct. 21- Spirit Day

Oct. 28- Spirit Day


Reading- This week they are reading their first nonfiction story. It is called Double Dutch. It is about a group of girls that were on a Double Dutch jump rope team. I showed the kids a video on Monday of some students at the championships of this. We were all impressed with their speed of jumping and twirling the rope. Some of the kids decided they were going to try at recess on Tuesday. I was told it didn't go well! LOL   In grammar we are working on identifying nouns in a sentence. I showed them the Schoolhouse Rock video on nouns...did I just age myself?? I hope some of you watched that! We also area discussing common and proper nouns. That seems to be harder! I thought it would be easier! Proper nouns have capital letters! They will have a spelling test on Friday as well a test over the story. We will get that done before the early out. 

You will see last week's scores in their folders. Last week had a cold read. That means they had to read a story by themselves and answer 10 questions about it. I stress that they should read it more than once because normally they read our story 3 times before they test over it. I am not sure how many did that. 

Math- This week we are rounding decimals! The skill of rounding is probably something they've been doing since 2nd grade. Some of the kids are still struggling with this concept.  I think next week we will be working on reviewing and testing over this chapter. 

Religion- They took their first test on Tuesday. They are also making cards for Fr. Patrick. Next week after mass we are presenting him with them for Priesthood Day! 


Friday, Sept. 23 is a 3 hour early out. No lunch will be served!It is also a Spirit Day! They might want to wear sweats on Friday with the temperature drop! They can also wear their black and red if they want to support the Panthers. The parade starts at 1:30.


Book It- This will start October 1st. I will give your kids their calendar to keep track of their minutes. If they meet the goal each month, they will receive their coupon for Pizza Ranch. I also give awards at the end to the kids who participate all 6 months. I'm thinking I will keep track of my minutes this year too! I'm in a book club so this gives me the extra push to read, not that I need one. 

I hope everyone enjoys the early out on Friday. Hopefully the rain won't delay the parade or cancel it! Happy Homecoming!

God Bless, 

Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment