Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Hello Parents, 
Well, if you hadn't heard-- the flu bug has hit our room. So far I have had 5 kids come down with it. I am hoping the others will not!

Reading- They are taking their test over the story and spelling test on Thursday. I want to dedicate Friday to their book reports. That usually takes a little longer. They should have their project and their costume with them on Friday. They won't be wearing it all day. It will be something they change into and they will be back to their normal clothes when we are done. 

Next week they will be doing their unit 5 testing. I believe this one is a benchmark test which means more stories, but the same number of questions. They will also be trying out for our Baker's Neighbor play. They will have a script and their part by next Friday. My plan is to show the play on Friday, May 18 at 2:15 pm. Mark your calendar. The play is only about 10 minutes. 

Math- They are adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators. I had to do some background work this week on changing improper fractions to a mixed number and vice versa. Then add making sure it is in simplest form to the that as well. I know the kids that were out sick on Tuesday had a difficult time understanding, but we did a small group session on Wednesday morning and they grabbed on quickly. The trick will be teaching them to have to borrow with subtraction. That one is always a little slower. 

Religion- We are in our new chapter and it is one I haven't taught before, but looking it over, I felt it was needed. We are talking about the hierarchy in the church-- the pope, bishops, priests. We are reading some of the stories from the Bible when Jesus was gathering his Apostles. We watched a quick 5 minute video from the movie The Bible on when Jesus met with Peter and helped him gather his fish in the nets. Peter being the rock of the church is a very important Apostle.  We also read where the Apostles had to choose someone to take Judas' spot and they chose Matthias. 


Food Pantry- I am switching our dates with Mrs. Sickels' class because of our play. The 5th graders will go to the Food Pantry on May 11, next Friday, instead of the 18th. 

Lap-A-Thon- I know this is tomorrow. I am praying they will be outside. They should have an extra pair of shoes and socks to change into AFTER they are done running. They should also have a water bottle with their name on it to use during the run. I think they will run outside as long as it isn't pouring rain. 

Yearbook Cover Contest- Anyone interested in drawing/coloring the possible cover for this year's yearbook is asked to submit it by May 9 to Mrs. Simmons. If they want to do something digital on a Google document, they can do that as well. 

Field Trip-In your child's folder is the permission form and letter about our trip on Tuesday, May 15. Please fill it out and return by Friday, May 11. Make sure you also pay for the trip as well at the same time. I am excited and a little nervous to go. I don't do heights very well so I may not look out the windows very much! I am excited because I used to read a story in our old series about Kate Shelley. I am going to read that to the 5th graders before we go so they have some background knowledge of this famous Iowan. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I know First Communion is Saturday night. 
God Bless,
Miss Surma




No comments:

Post a Comment