Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Happy Wednesday! I hope your week is going well. The weather is so nice! It is making it difficult to be in the classroom for the students and the teachers! 

Reading- They are taking their unit test this week. That should be finished up on Friday. Next week we will focus on the play. I may do some grammar and spelling with them. We will see how our practices go. 

They tried out for the play on today. I will give them their roles tomorrow. Their job is to start memorizing their lines after that. I know there will be some that are disappointed that they didn't get the role they wanted,but I need those extras just as much as I need the people with more lines. EVERY role is important! By Wednesday of next week, they need to have it memorized. I will be the one with the script. 

As for their parts-- I have talked to them about costumes. The hardest ones will be the villagers and women. I usually tell them to dress more like an adult in town. They can also dress up as little old ladies and men. I have had kids use walkers and canes. They have taken dresses from their Grandma's closet. Some of the boys dress like farmers or they wear dress clothes and ties. They just need to be an adult! 

Manuel- mass clothes

Pablo- mass clothes with a hat

Kids- wear their own clothes (shorts, etc)

Judge- Mass clothes, I will provide the black robe

The play is next Friday, the 18th at 2:15. It's only about 10 minutes. The kids will go back to the room for cake and juice afterwards. If you are taking them home instead, just let me know. 

Math- This week we have spent most of our time subtracting mixed numbers. This time they have had to borrow from the whole number to be able to finish it. I showed them two ways to do it. One way is the way we were all taught-- turning them into improper fractions first. The other way is dealing only with the fraction portion first and making sure we have like denominators. I would say most of the class chose the second route. To me it is a lot easier than dealing with improper fractions and bigger numbers. Either way is correct! I gave them the option. The next step will be looking at mixed numbers and figuring out the pattern.

Religion- This week they were learning about the Vatican Councils and the Ecumenical Council-- just what it is. Next year I need to have Father in for those conversations. He was telling me some interesting history of it during lunch today. 

Field Trip- I have 9 forms returned. I would really like the others by Friday so I don't have to remind them on Monday. Remember it will cost them $10.  They will need a sack lunch and drink that day. We are leaving here at 8! If they are a breakfast eater at school--it will have to be a quick one! Sorry. We need to stay on schedule. 

Substitute- I am gone on Friday. I am leaving after work tomorrow. I am going home to leave some flowers by my mom's grave for Mother's Day and then heading to Waterloo.I know it is a long trip for flowers, but worth it in my eyes.  My niece Emily has a soccer tournament in Waverly on Saturday with her high school team. This is my chance to see her play. Mrs. Bearden will be here in my place. If you change how your child is getting home--contact Sarah in the office. She will let them know. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! Happy Mother's Day to all the moms! I hope you get spoiled a little bit !

Thank you to the PTO for our teacher gifts each day! It has been lots of fun this week! Thanks for your work with the Lap-A-Thon last week! I am soooooo  excited to take that pie in the face on the last day of school! 

God Bless, 
Miss Surma



No comments:

Post a Comment