Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Hi Parents, 
I hope you are enjoying your week. Boy, these last weeks seems to fly by us! 


Play- Just a reminder that our play is on Friday at 2:15 in the gym. The first graders will be joining us. Grandparents are welcome to come if you cannot make it! The play lasts about 10 minutes. The 5th graders will come down to my room afterwards for our little celebration. They get to eat the the pink frosted cake! If you are taking them home with you instead, please just let me know. Thanks! They should have their costumes with them when they comes to school on Friday. I have discussed with them what they should wear. Please don't go out and buy brand new stuff! Hit their closet or yours first! 


Math- Last week we spent the entire week subtracting mixed numbers with borrowing. This week we are working on numbers in a series. There is spot for them to figure out what the next number in the series would be. Their job is to figure out the pattern first-- are the numbers increasing or decreasing? Once they know that-- they know they have to add or subtract to get that missing number. The toughest spot right now is when they have to subtract a mixed number from a whole number. An example would be 8-3-4/6=? 

Religion-They are taking a test today. After this we are getting into our guidance books. That will probably be how we end our year. 

Reading- Next week they will read a story and do spelling again. I decided not to do that this week because of our crazy week with the field trip , our play, and the visit to the middle school. In your child's folder are their scores for our last unit test. I copied off the wrong sheet, but I made it work. 

FAST- In their folder next week will be a score sheet to show you their  scores from their FAST testing. These are the reading tests they have done to show their work in fluency. I was really excited about their scores! I was also so so so happy with the class overall with our Iowa Assessments! 100% proficient in reading! WOO HOO!!!!!  83% were proficient in math! That made me so happy too! 

Permission Slips- I am still missing these from 4 kids. Please return them as soon as possible. Thanks! 


Middle School Visit- Today they are visiting the 6th and 7th graders. They split our class in half. So they are getting a taste of science, math, and language arts. They are learning about block scheduling. 

Train Ride--- Our field trip was great fun! I really enjoyed the trip even if I hate heights! I would love to tell you that your children were so understanding, but instead I heard things like...Miss Surma, what if we tip over? Miss Surma, what if the brakes go out? Miss Surma, we didn't die!!!!! hahahaha
Many of them need to go to confession for trying to convince me we were over the 156 ft bridge! haha It was a lot of fun and I think they enjoyed it more than they thought they would! 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! The weather looks perfect! 
God Bless, 
Miss Surma


No comments:

Post a Comment