Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Hello Parents, Well, I'd like to say Happy Spring, but I am not sure Mother Nature has seen our calendar. I know my siblings in Eastern and Northern Iowa are getting hit yet again! I'm glad that isn't us. 

Reading- This week we are reading a story called Vaqueros. It is the history of cowboys and how they got started. It really goes back to the time of Columbus being in Spain. The barbed wire that ranchers and farmers use is  kind of what stopped the need for them. Thanks to Fernando for helping pronounce the Spanish words so easily!!! 
In grammar they are working on easily confused verbs. We went over words like lay and lie, can and may.  We discussed that many people say they are going to "lay out" at the beach. When in fact that is the wrong usage. Really you are "lying out". I told them lay is like the word "set". You put stuff down on your desk, on a table, on your bed. You "lie" down to take a nap. You "lie out" in the sun. 

Math-- This week we were comparing fractions by changing the denominator. Then they have to use the greater than and less than signs. On Wednesday, once they learned how to change them, they had to write them in greatest to least or least to greatest. We are getting close to the end of our chapter. They will test over it next week. The earliest will be Tuesday, but I need to see how Friday goes. 


Religion- They are finishing up the chapter on Spiritual Works of Mercy. They will probably test over it next week. On Thursday I will hand out their Rosary or Mass parts. You are invited to join us for mass and the rosary before mass if you can make it. 

In the News- I hope you were able to check out the link I posted to show the 5th graders on the KWWL news. I assume they saw my tweet! Pretty cool they included us in their story. The kids are really good about praying for Jake every morning. 

Clean-Up Day- On Friday we are raking the school grounds. I am not sure how much the 5th graders will get to help because it is also our day to work at the Food Pantry. They can wear sweats that day or shorts (no charge). If they want to wear a hat --that will cost $1. If they want to donate another $1, that will go towards flowers and soil for this summer. All rakes should be labeled! They should also have a pair of gloves! 

Just so you know...they all survived the Growth Talk!!!!! Woo hoo!

This Friday we have school, but the public school does not. You will need to drop off and pick up!

We don't have school on the 27th. The teachers have to go to Des Moines for professional development. 

Have a great weekend. My plan is to head to Sioux Falls after work. My sister and I are going to Doon on Saturday to pick out a spot for the bench we had made for our parents. Hopefully their snow will be melted!!! A girl can dream! 

God Bless,
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment