Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Happy Thursday, Parents! I hope you are all having a great week! 

Iowa Assessments has been going on for most of the week. We will finish our final tests today! 
Thank you to the parents who signed up to bring in snacks for them. They have been a welcome break every day! 

Reading- Next week we only have 4 days, but we will do a story and spelling words. Your Unit 4 scores are posted online in the grade book, but I have also put a paper copy in your child's Take Home Folder. 


Auction- It was great to see some of you there. I think it was a successful night! Mark O'Riley bought our 5th grade basket and gave it back to me! I showed the kids on Monday. Some of them took the book they suggested for it, the others donated them to our classroom library. It's been fun to see them all go through it and look for a new book to read!!!! We will thank Mark on Friday when we go to the Food Pantry! 

Math- This week we have focused on Biz Town. They had to fill out an application to get a checking account at the bank. Then we discussed a lot of terms. We played a game on Tuesday where I gave them a situation and they had to tell me how that person was going to pay--checking account, savings account, debit or credit card, safe deposit box, personal loans. It was good to get them aware of all the possibilities. We have stressed identity theft and the ways it can be done. I stressed that they are NOT to give their social security number out to anyone unless you have given them permission. We also solved some math problems that tellers might face. We had to count up the money the teller had in their drawer. 

On Wednesday, we went over writing a check and then endorsing it. We also filled out a deposit slip and then recorded the deposit in our banking transaction book.  They had to record and balance a deposit and a check written out. We will be practicing that one. I think the biggest thing they realized was that they might have to write their name smaller so it can fit on the lines of their check! 😃

Lenten Angels- They met with their angel again on Wednesday. They watched a 60 second video to explain what Lent is about-- prayer, almsgiving, and fasting. It was so cute, my group watched it twice! Then they each made a cross to remind them of these things and the promise they made this Lenten season. 

Sack Lunch- This Friday is a Spirit Day and the sack lunch is optional. I will remind them that it is Friday, and as Catholics we don't eat meat on Fridays. They may also opt for the school lunch which I believe is a bean burrito. 

Food Pantry- We are to go again this Friday. I have told the 5th graders that the weather will be COLD on Friday so we need to go back to winter coats. The hoodie and fleece won't cut it. It's March-- it will be different again next week!

Clocks- Don't forget to set your clocks ahead this week! We all lose that extra hour of sleep, but just think of all the sunshine! You may need to remind me that I said this on Thursday! 😫

I will see you at conferences next week! Have a great weekend!
God Bless,
Miss Surma



No comments:

Post a Comment