Thursday, March 30, 2017

Hello Parents, 
I hope everyone had a great week off! I moved from my apartment to a house on Prairie Street (renting;not buying). Two of my siblings came down last Saturday to help with the big stuff along with some great men from church! It took us less than an hour to load and unload! 

Dollars for Scholars- They wrote their essays before we went on break. This week they used their Chromebooks and typed them up in a Google Doc for me. They shared it with me and then I printed them off! I am waiting for all to finish. I need to turn in the top 3 next Friday to be judged. 

Fire Posters- Congrats to Tucker! He came in 2nd place in the state contest for 5th graders! Woo hoo!!! He was invited to a luncheon in Osage, Iowa. He will receive his award then. 

Math- This week we started back with dividing decimals by 1, 10, 100, and 1000. On Tuesday and Wednesday they worked in small groups using Base 10 blocks to divide up the decimals by whole numbers.  We will continue with Biz Town on Thursday and Friday.

Reading- This week we read a story called The Birchbark House. This is a story about a Native American girl who is upset with her sister and wants to make her envy her. She ends up befriending a couple of bear cubs until the mother bear shows up! Then she tries to reason with the bear to convince her that she wasn't going to harm her cubs. 

We are also working on Perfect, Past, and Future Tense verbs in grammar. On Monday we used has or have in front of our verbs, but we needed to make sure that our verb was in past tense. You have to love the English language that tells us we are working on Perfect Present Tense, but using past tense verbs! :) 

Remember that on Monday we don't have school. 

Make sure you are watching the April calendar. The month is really chopped up and I have a feeling it will fly by!!! 

Have a great weekend! 
God Bless, 
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment