Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Happy Thursday Parents! I hope you are enjoying these spring like temps! Reality will be here on Friday...winter isn't really over yet. 

Reading- This week we read a short excerpt from Black Stallion.  This part of the story is really with the main character Alec figuring out how to build a relationship with Black. They are on this uninhabited island together. Black does help Alec by killing a snake! Alec doesn't give up and keeps trying until he is successful in being able to ride Black. 

Grammar- This week they are working on the mechanics of capitalizing and punctuation rules for books, magazine, poems, songs, TV shows, movies, etc. The clue that sometimes helps me is that if I can hold it in my hand... I underline it. I can hold a book. I can hold a movie. I can't hold an episode of a TV show. We also talked about how capitalize the most important words in a title. We for sure do the first and last, but the shorter words or shorter prepositions, or articles don't usually get capitalized. We did make reminder pages in their notebook with some examples. 

Spelling- This week their clue before the pretest was that these words are from different languages. I always love telling them that! They all worry until they hear the first word...salsa. "Ohhhhh!!!"  is the usual response. We do learn some words they might not use daily like dungarees, tycoon, or siesta. 

This is our last story in this unit. That means next week will be another unit test. They won't have any spelling next week. The week after that will be Iowa Assessments. I don't plan on doing a story that week either. They will be doing plenty of reading that week. 

Math- We are working on multiplying decimals this week. The trick is knowing where to put that decimal. They are doing really well. This is a short chapter. They will be testing next week in this too. Once we are done, I plan on starting BizTown. 

BizTown- At this point I have 4 parents that have said YES to helping us out! Please look at your schedule to see if you can join us that day! It is a lot of fun!

Religion- Next Wednesday will be Ash Wednesday. They will receive ashes that day at school. I have already talked to the kids about thinking what they want to do during Lent. They will fill out their promises on Tuesday.  We have started our next chapter on the Sacraments of Healing. Right now they are working on skits to perform in class on Thursday. 

Auction- Thank you so much for all the donations towards our book basket! I think it will be great! I also think the silent auction item is going to be really cool! If you don't have plans for March 4-- get your ticket and join us at the dinner and auction! It is always a GREAT time! 

Trivia Night is this Saturday at The Lobby. Social hour is at 6 with the questions beginning at 7! 

Conference Sign Up- I sent out emails for you to sign up for your conferences. I am planning on doing them a little every night. Sign up soon! 

Have a great weekend! 
God Bless, 
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment