Thursday, January 29, 2015

Happy Catholic School's Week Parents!!!! We have been having a great week! We've been very busy with our classes, but also our fun days! 

Religion- They took their test on Monday. They did GREAT! We started our new chapter on Wednesday. They will also be getting their mass parts this Friday. Our 5th grade mass will be next Wednesday, Feb. 4. I think we only do one more together. I think. Where is the time going????

Math- They took their math tests on Wednesday. I will be sending those home to get signed either today or tomorrow. It depends on how long the talent show lasts. They will do some math on Friday, but we won't really get started until next Monday. They will have a chapter over dividing decimals with whole numbers and decimals. I asked them how they felt after this chapter test. They were a mixed bag. Most of them said it wasn't too hard, but it wasn't easy either. I think the story problems are forcing them to stop and think about it. Sometimes I think they may have been overthinking. 

Reading- This week's story was about a girl who made friends with the neighbor boy. He was making a time machine in his garage that could transport them to the future, but for just a little while. She wanted to be sent to the future to see who won the writing contest their school was putting on because she really wanted to win. There was a cute twist at the end that made them say, "What???" "Oh man!"  I love it when that happens. In our center time we read a similar story about a girl who received a watch for her birthday. It could turn her invisible. Through our reading of the story and the discussion, we came to the conclusion that being invisible wasn't always the best thing.  They will take a test on Friday over this story. Our reading will be the same.  Last week's scores are in their take home folders. They did really well last week!  In grammar last week we worked on adjectives. This week we are working on identifying adverbs. I always think this is more of a challenge because you have to figure out how they are describing a verb. 

Friday is dress up day for our mass at church. Please let me know if your child doesn't have anyone to sit with at mass. They will sit with me! They can be taken from the church after mass is over or after you have some cookies and punch. Please let me know. I believe the bus will stop by and pick those kids up that still need to take the bus home. I will ask your kids their plans on Friday morning. If your child has a part in the mass--there will be reserved seating up front for them and their guest or grandparent. 

STM Foundation Auction and Dinner-- It is that time of year again! I have a couple of parents who have volunteered to take charge of the live and silent auction items this year! Thank you!!! Anyway, I am going to collect the money that you are willing to donate to those items! I believe the live auction item will be a piece of furniture again. Please remember to donate if you are able to help us. I am not asking for a certain amount. We will accept any and all donations! I would like to get the money to the helpers by February 20. I will keep posting this weekly to remind you. Thanks again for all your help!!!

I hope everyone has been able to enjoy the nice weather. It looks like we will be facing the reality of winter again! I see snow is in the forecast for the weekend! Have a great weekend!  God Bless, Miss Surma


No comments:

Post a Comment