Thursday, February 5, 2015

Hello Parents, Well, I guess it really is winter! This week is crazy with our weather! Last week's CSW was a lot of fun! I always love that week, but I am exhausted by the end! LOL

Letter-- Please pay attention to the letter and permission slip I have put in your child's folder. I need that form returned by Monday, February 9. Thank you!!!!

Reading- This week we read a story called The Dog Newspaper by Peg Kehret. This was an autobiography. She wrote about how she created her own newspaper as a child. Her stories dealt with her dog, It didn't do very well because she ran out of good stories to tell. We also focused a large part on coming up with facts and opinions in the story.  In grammar this week we are working on prepositions and identifying prepositional phrases. This is the 3rd story in our unit so that means on Friday, they will have another story to read and ten more questions about it.
Last week's scores are in their folders. They did GREAT!

Math- We are begining our dividing of decimals. On Tuesday they worked on seeing how the decimal moves when you divide by 10, 100, or 1000. On Wednesday they used Base 10 Blocks to work out the division problem. They worked in small groups. I walked around and they had to explain to me how they started the problem and what they did to solve it. They had to do a lot of regrouping with their tenths and hundredths. It was a lot of work! They really had a great time with it though! We are continuing that today.  I also made sure that each child was able to tell me what they were doing and there wasn't one speaker for the entire group.

Mass- They did a terrific job with mass today! I was a little worried because we didn't get our normal practice time on Monday or Tuesday! They just did a super job! Next week will be a prayer service because Father is going to be gone. On February 18 it is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. They should start thinking now about what they want to do this Lenten season. I have already made my decision which is a change up from what I usually do.

Book Reports-- Just a reminder that their 2nd book report is due on Thursday, February 19.

I hope everyone has a good weekend! I am heading to Waterloo this weekend. My sister's ex-husband passed away suddenly on Sunday. The funeral is on Saturday. I want to be there for her and my nieces, and Doug was part of our family more than he wasn't . God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment