Thursday, February 13, 2014

Hello Parents, Happy Thursday! I hope you are having a good week!  

Dates to Remember: Donations for our 5th grade basket will be due on Monday! I have only gotten a few so far, so I am really hoping that you can help out! Please do what you can. If you write a check, write it to Chris Walters. Thank you for your help!!!!



Language Arts-They took the test over our last story on Tuesday. The scores weren't so hot. I knew that the decoding section would be difficult and possibly the grammar. I was right. Because we had the time, I had them make corrections on the test where scores were 60% or below. I looked at each piece or section of the test, not the score as a whole. You will see it on the paper I sent home in their folder. I wish I had time every week to go back and make corrections. We just don't have the class time. It may be something they have to do on their own.  We started our test on Wednesday for the entire unit. We will finish it today. My plan for Friday is to go over the test. If we have some time leftover, I told the kids IF they were ready to share their book report, they certainly could. It will help alleviate next Friday. I am still making the due date the 21st, but I just thought this might help the schedule. 

Math- We have started working on division with double digit divisors. We start the chapter by working on basic facts on a larger scale. Today's lesson is estimating the quotient using compatible numbers. Basically you are finding basic facts that are close to the actual numbers and then dividing mentally. 

Valentine's Party- we will celebrate in the afternoon on Friday. I told them to bring in their treats on Friday. 

On Friday grades 2-4 are going to a play in Des Moines about bullying. I will be teaching the 5th graders all day. They will have a normal day, but they will eat lunch with the 6-8 students. 

Recess-- Now that our weather is getting somewhat nicer, we are able to go outside. I do see many of my kids without hats, headbands, or gloves. They should still have that on when going outside. I strongly suggest snow pants as well. The nicer temps are making for a sloppy playground. The kids are ending up with wet and dirty jeans due to playing in it.

Have a good weekend! God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment