Thursday, February 20, 2014

Happy Thursday!!! I am starting to wonder if winter will ever end for us??? I think we all enjoyed the nice couple of days we had this week! 

Auction- Thank you to all those who were able to donate to our basket! Chris has everything and it sounds like she will be putting together a great basket!

Math-We have started working on division with double digit divisors. I have started out slowly with only a few problems at a time until they get the hang of it. Some have found estimating to be their tool for finding the quotient. Some have found using multiplication to be their way! Whatever works!!! As long as I can see the process of division is being done, I am fine with it. The part they need to pay attention to is their subtraction. Some are still trying to subtract larger numbers from smaller numbers. Another part of the learning is figuring out what having a remainder that is larger than my divisor means for the quotient. They give me funny looks when I say, "Your remainder is larger than your divisor, that means your quotient is too small." :)

Language Arts- We read a story called Tucket's Travel by Gary Paulsen. It is a historical fiction story about a boy and two other children who are trying to get away from the Comancheros, but they are in an arid, desolate area. A thunderstorm ends up saving the day. Their grammar this week is working on the forms of Be-- is, are, was, were, has, have, and had. They are trying to make sure that  the verb works with the subject being singular or plural. They are also working on making sure the verbs in the sentence are the same tense.  In the vocabulary piece, they are working on synonyms and the shades or degrees of meanings. They look at being happy or being exhilarated. Which word would you use in certain situations. 

Religion- They took the test yesterday. Those kids who were gone will take it today. I am just going to keep the test and I will show you at conferences. They did really well! 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I am off to Doon again. I have to do some things for my mom since my sister is busy, but I also plan on having her come back to Creston with me until Spring Break! God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment