Thursday, February 27, 2014

Hi Parents, Well, it is definitely still winter! Ugh! I am ready for spring to arrive at any time!

Math- This week we really stepped into dividing larger numbers by double digits. It always amazes me how adding one more number to their dividend throws them off. They want to be done with a single digit answer and sometimes it has three! :) Today I am slowing it down some more so that  I can work with some kids on corrections. While I am doing that the others are using the marker boards and working in small groups. Each group has a "teacher" who assigns the problem for everyone to solve, including the teacher. Once all are correct, the "teacher" role moves to someone else in the group. It is still making them work, but adding a little lightness after the last couple of days!

Language Arts- Last week's scores were great! I didn't make copies of them. I can show you them at conferences. I hope the same this week! This week they read a story about an Indian girl who is walking home and comes upon two bear cubs and their mom! It is historical fiction, but it was a cute story. We are working on present perfect, past perfect, and future perfect verbs in grammar. We also did some work on Wednesday looking up words in the dictionary and finding a synonym for it in a thesaurus. They really had to focus on the way the words was used in the sentence and not just what they thought it means.

Religion- They did super on their tests. Again, that is something I will show you at conferences. Next week Wednesday is Ash Wednesday. We will be receiving ashes at mass. This is also the beginning of Lent. I will have the students be thinking over the weekend of what they want to do this Lenten season. Will they give something up or will they work on doing some kind of deed each week?

PE- I taped them on Monday dancing to Footloose! I sent a clip to Mr. Walsh. He is going to put it up on the Facebook sight. It is fun to watch them!!!

Auction-- Thanks again for the donations! Chris sent me a picture of our basket!! It looks GREAT!  I hope many of you will be able to attend the fun on Saturday!

We are sending home a Conference Survey to all families. We have to get them back--filled out or not by Tuesday. It will be in your child's folder. Just have them return it to me by Tuesday. Thanks!

Have a great weekend! Maybe I will see you at the auction! God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment