Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hello Parents! Welcome to another cold and blustery Iowa week! I am ready for warm weather and no wind!!!  My mom did come back with me on Sunday so we are enjoying our time together!

Catholic Schools Week-- I created a flyer about the week. I have put that in your child's folder. It should give let you know what next week's plans will be! It will be a crazy and busy week, but a favorite of mine! Look in the Creston Advertiser next week for the insert that the 8th graders created. I know some of the 5th graders were interviewed! If your child signed up to participate in Sunday's mass, it is in their folder.

Foundation Auction- Thank you, Chris Walter, for taking care of our live auction basket! She came up with the idea of a Breakfast Basket. I put together her ideas on a flyer. If you are able to help out, there are plenty of ideas to choose from!! I have already received some cash donations, you could do that in place of an item. Christ would like to collect everything by February 17. That will give her time to do any shopping and put it together.

Math- This week they were dealing with prime and composite numbers, the divisibility rules, and creating prime factorization trees! Whew!!!!! It was most definitely a challenge. We are getting near the end of our chapter. I think there could be a test at some point next week, but I can't say when for sure.

Language Arts- This week we read a story by Peg Kehret. She is a favorite author of many of the girls in here. This was an autobiography. She had created the Dog Newspaper as a child, but soon realized she didn't have any customers. It was great though because this gave us a peak at how early she began her writing career. WE are so thankful she didn't stop writing.  They also focused on prepositions and prepositional phrases. I am continuing some work on the side with adverbs. That was a hard hit area last week on the test. They also dealt with homophones such as : to, too, two and homographs like: tear, tear, lead, and lead.

Bully movie- They did very well in watching the movie. We had some lively conversations afterwards. There was a lot of anger towards the adults and students. I felt the same way, maybe even more this time. It was good to see them recognize the injustice. A powerful movie that I would highly recommend. Mr. Walsh said you can rent it/buy it on Amazon.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I hope to see you on Sunday at our CSW kick-off mass at church!!! God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment