Thursday, January 16, 2014

Happy Thursday!!! I hope you are having a good week!

 This week we finally finished The Truth About Truman! Boy, by the end, there were some very angry 5th graders at a few of the characters in the book. It is their book. I would suggest reading it! It is very good and does really focus on cyber-bullying which is such an easy thing for kids to do these days. It certainly didn't end the way we all were hoping it would ,but some very good lessons throughout it.

Math- This week I am seeing more confidence in the process of division from all the 5th graders! I am having to do less work with them individually. This week they had to focus on dividing with zeros in the quotient and dividing larger numbers. The most common mistakes I see are forgetting to bring down the next number or errors in their subtraction or multiplication. Feel free to give them a problem at home to work out for you! They also know how to check it through multiplication.

Language Arts- This week we read a science fiction story. I think that is a first for this new series. It was a good story about a boy who created a time machine that could only go forward in time. It was a fun story. We also jumped to learning about adverbs for grammar. This one is more challenging because they have to be able to identify the verb or adjective that the adverb is describing. Plus, adverbs don't always come just before the verb or just after it. They really need to stop and ask themselves the questions.  If the verb is "run". How far did they run? How often did they run? When did they run? Where did they run? How much did they run? The nice part is that many of the adverbs they worked with end in-ly.  In their folder you will find their test scores from the story before Christmas and they story they read last week. You may also notice they rise in scores this past week. I believe taking the test on Friday of Christmas break...was not a good idea. I learned a lesson there.

Book Reports- Depending on our schedule, I will be talking to them about their next book report. This one will be a Newbery Honor or Newbery Winner book. I have a list of books for them to choose from. They will also get the list of projects. They cannot repeat the same project they did in the first trimester.

Catholic Schools Week- A flyer went home last week. There is a class theme day. Mrs. Sickels and I talked and wanted to do something around TJ and Nate. She came up with the idea of auctioneers, cowboys, or outdoors because we know they loved the mountains and they loved going to the Sale Barn. We have made some suggestions such as cowboy hats or some kind of cap, plaid shirts or western type shirts or t-shirts, cowboy boots ( if you have them). Some of the 5th graders asked about wearing their buttons they made at CYC. TJ loved wearing his "Stevie Joe Bob" button or his Sheriff pin. I will brainstorm with the kids some more to see if they have any more ideas. They could also just wear their colors: pink, orange, and yellow.

St. Malachy Foundation Auction- I stuck a note in your child's folder. I am looking for someone to take care of the Live Auction Basket from 5th grade. Please let me know if you will help out. Thanks!!!

Have a great weekend! I plan on going to Doon. Mom's birthday is on Friday. My sister and I are throwing her a party with some of her friends. I am hoping she will come back to Creston with me for a couple of weeks!
God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment