Wednesday, May 17, 2023

 Wow! We have one more week together! I can't believe how quickly the year went by!  The schedule will be as normal as possible, but at the end of the year there are always things that pop up! 


Calendar Dates:

May 18- Book Reports Due/ Bring Costumes

May 19- 8th grade graduation/ Spirit Day

May 24- Spring Concert 6:00 pm

May 25- Clean Out Desks and Lockers

May 26- Last Day of School/ Field Day/ 3 hour early out


Book Reports- They are due on Thursday. Make sure they pack their costume.  They shouldn't wear it to school because they may not give theirs on Thursday so it will stay at school until they have presented. 

Reading- We are making some headway in our book. The book takes place in the 60s. As I was reading it the last couple of days I came across things I need to discuss with the kids that really don't happen anymore... government cheese as big as a loaf of bread, rubber boots with the 5 buckles ( my dad sold these in his store-- I helped many farmers get new pairs) and signing your name at the grocery store to charge your bill  which would be paid later. Even though I was born in 1970, I am feeling a little nostalgic. Kenny's mom had quite the threat for his brother Byron after he was caught playing with matches! 


Math- We have been adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators. They have caught on to that pretty easily. The problem now is having to write their answers in simplified form. So I am adjusting my plans so we can spend some time on that skill and then we will keep moving! There are a lot of different little parts to fractions. The vocabulary words we use are hard to keep sorted : numerators, denominators, finding a common denominator with multiples, reducing fractions with the greatest common factor. 

Religion- We are finishing up our last chapter and we will have one more test. This one covers the Ten Commandments. We will finish the year with our Guidance class. 

May 26, 2023 is the last day of school. It is a 3 hour early out! There won't be lunch served that day! The morning will be Field Day. I don't have the schedule yet, but know that you are welcome to come and watch the fun! We will do the clap-out for the 8th graders before we leave! 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I am actually staying in town and not driving to Waterloo! I will probably be working on report cards and grading book reports. 

God Bless,

Miss Surma


No comments:

Post a Comment