Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Hello Parents, I hope you are having a good week. I would like to send our condolences to Kennedy's family with the loss of her Great Grandmother Martha.  The kids have been great again with the support for Kennedy and the continued support for Sadie. I am very proud of them!

Reading- So our week started off wonky because I didn't assign the test on Friday correctly. So, on Monday they had to redo it! Scores were better than I had expected overall. The third week there is always a cold read test. They get a new story to read to themselves and then answer the questions. The nice part with this one is they can always go back to the story and look up answers. The story they are reading this week is called Double Dutch. This was our first nonfiction story. It is about a group of girls who create a Double Dutch team  at their school and then take part in some competitions. The grammar this week has been focusing on common and proper nouns. They are having to pick them out of sentences and tell me whether they are common or proper. They are also having to write sentences and capitalize the proper nouns in them. This can be a little tricky at times. They will also be working with titles and abbreviations.

Math- This week we took on orders of operations. It seemed pretty simple for them as they worked with on problems on Tuesday, but they were having issues with remembering they need to work from left to right. We are working on it some more on Thursday. I didn't feel comfortable leaving it to Mrs. Struble on Wednesday when I was gone because I wanted to be there to answer any of the questions. When it comes to math...I'd rather they ask me for help so I know what is confusing them. They will be adding braces and brackets to it on Friday. We are nearing the end of this first chapter. It is so packed with all kinds of different things. I will give them a  "cheat sheet" for the test. It is just a guide to remind them of all the different things we did in this chapter. I know it is a lot to remember.  They could end up testing next week, but I will see how these orders of operation lessons continue.

Religion- They worked on posters to represent each of the seven sacraments. They are going to share those on Thursday. We will be finishing up the chapter and then testing over it too. During the month of October we close the book and focus on the Rosary. They need to memorize two prayers-- which I think they already know. They also need to know all the mysteries. We work on this  in class with different things. Plus we will go to the chapel to pray the Rosary. I usually do that on Fridays.

Food Pantry- We are working this Friday with the 3rd graders. It will be their first or second time I believe.

Homecoming- Next Friday, Oct. 11 is a 3 hour early out. There won't be lunch served that day. The kids can wear their Panther gear!

Panther Pancakes- We are doing this in place of Donuts and Muffins! So, next Friday, come to eat pancakes with your kids before school and celebrate homecoming!!! Breakfast will be served from 7-8:30. 

Veteran's Day- We will be having a Veteran's Day program. The 5th graders will be making thank you cards. They are also going to do an activity with Mrs. Dinham's 4 year old preschoolers. I haven't told the kids yet, but I know they will be so excited!

I hope everyone has a great weekend! The temps will feel like fall, I think! I need to check the "lake" in my backyard! All this rain is making my sump pumps work overtime!

God Bless,
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment