Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Hello Parents, I hope you are having a good week. I am so ready for fall temps.


McKinley Park Day- Just a reminder your kids will need a sack lunch on Thursday for our field trip. They will also need a drink. We also want the kids to each have an extra water bottle with them for the day. Please pack that with their name on it.  They should wear tennis shoes because they will be doing a lot of walking. We will be touring the historical complex first. Later they will be playing disc golf. We are planning on being back between 1-2 pm.

Reading- Due to our short week, I decided to assign them their first book report. They were given a packet with 8 different options for their project. It is not due until November 14...so they have awhile. They don't have to start immediately. They get to choose their book.  It can't be something they've read before or heard before. It has to be a chapter book. They should show it to me to make sure it is okay.  IF we don't go to the park on Thursday due to weather, I will probably start the next story.

I also assigned them to write their rough draft for their Halloween story. We are just getting a big start on projects this week. Their rough draft will be due next Thursday, Sept. 26. I turned on some kids' Halloween music to inspire them, but they ended up singing along! 😄😄

Religion- They had their test this week. We aren't really starting a new chapter yet because I am having them practice for mass on Wednesday. Just a reminder that mass is at 9:30 instead of 9:15. 

Math- This week they are working on multiplication by single digit numbers. They are also working on multiplying double digit numbers. I am thinking most of this should really be review. I believe they did that last year. They are also working on estimating their products.

Substitute- I will be gone on Friday, Sept. 27. Each parish was given 16 tickets to the Bishop's ordination mass. Father Adam told us we could enter our name into the drawing. I was a lucky winner! I get to go to attend the mass for the new bishop of our diocese. I am pretty excited since I teach about Holy Orders in religion class, but don't really know what that mass entails for them. I am excited to be able to come back and tell the kids all about it! The mass is at St. Francis of Assisi Church in Des Moines.

No school on Friday! PD Day for teachers! Enjoy your day!

Our continued prayers go out to Travis, Ethel, and Sadie Morgan. ❤🙏🙏🙏

I am heading to Waterloo this weekend. My niece Emily has her senior homecoming and she made the homecoming court. I am also going to see her sister Grace who plays soccer for Loras College. Pretty sure I get to babysit my great nieces Gracie and Rosie too! Enjoy Balloon Days! I hope the weather cooperates!
God Bless,
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment