Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Happy Thursday Parents! I hope you are having a great week! I am so glad it isn't raining! 


Reading- This week they have been taking the Unit 5 test. You will see their scores next Thursday in your folders. Next week I plan on doing a story from our next unit. This next unit, they will be given another book to use. It is more like a magazine. They will have a spelling test and test on Friday. Next week I will also be giving them their scripts for our play. We will hold try outs next Thursday most likely. I would like them to know their roles by Friday so they can start memorizing their lines.  So... I am looking at the plays being held on Friday, May 19. I will have to do one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I will let you know more when I have it all figured out!

Book Reports- They are due on May 24. I keep reminding those students are reading, they need to keep this going and not just do it while at school. They will run out of time. IF your child is doing the poster...they can use the tri-fold ones like at the science invention convention or just the big poster board paper found at Wal-Mart. You might also check out Dollar General or Dollar Tree. 

Math- We are plugging away at our chapter. This dividing decimals by decimals is throwing some of them. They need to remember that the decimal has to be moved in the divisor and in the dividend and then they need to put it in their answer! :)  We are getting near the end so there will be a test coming soon.

Religion- We finished  the Ten Commandments so we are going to work on our Guidance book now until the end of the year. 

Recess- This is just a story. I had duty on Wednesday and we stayed on this side. I had a big group of 5th graders that played 6-Square. Then I had another group on the hill. I looked up and noticed some of the girls doing tumbling stunts. Then the boys were trying their hand at it.  Then I suggested wheelbarrow races. They did that and then moved onto building a boy pyramid and a girl pyramid. Then they did piggyback races.  I didn't stay for anything more, but boy were they fun to watch. I was giggling at them constantly. I just loved how they were getting along! Then it dawned on me that we are running out of days. I got a little sad!!!!

The 5th graders will be visiting the middle school wing and spend time with the 6th graders next Wednesday after mass. They will eat lunch with them and go to recess. They will have their normal afternoon. I know the middle school information night is the next evening for you and them! I love this day for them, but I hate this day for me because I know I am going to lose them soon! 

I will be gone on May 12. Mrs. Bearden will be here to sub for me. They will be going to the Food Pantry that day.  That is also a Spirit Day.  My sister and I are leaving Thursday night for Pennsylvania. Our niece AnnMarie is a freshman at Youngstown State and has the part as Penny in the musical Hairspray. We have never seen her perform. It will be a LONG drive and a short trip! I will be back on Monday! 

On Tuesday after our testing I showed them the video of my niece's senior trip to France and Belgium. You can find it below. They visited sights of WWI and WWII. They saw battlegrounds and cemeteries,and Catholic churches. I also had to show them a quick video on the Christmas Truce so they would understand the significance of the soccer balls in the video.  It's about 30 minutes...watch if you like history! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYevMi49nMk 

Have a great weekend! I am heading to Waterloo on Friday. My niece Grace has her senior prom on Saturday. 
God Bless, 
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment