Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Hello Parents, I hope you are having a good week! Did you enjoy the extra day with the ice?? 

Reading- This week they are taking their Unit 3 test. They are doing this online on their chromebooks. I will send scores home next week. 

Book Report- I have assigned the next report. They are to choose a Newbery Honor or Newbery Winner book. I have shown them the ones in my classroom and I know they have been looking at the books in Mrs. Sickel's room. They will find others in the library. I also gave them the packet of book report choices. I told them they just can't do the same project they did the last time. This book report is due in about 4 weeks...so they don't have time to waste. I would say they have a few days to decide if they like a book or need to change. They will need to figure that out pretty quickly. I can help them pick out some books if they are having a hard time choosing one. The due date is Friday, February 17.

Math- This week they are beginning to add and subtract decimals. This is rather simple for them. The trick is to remember that your decimals have to be aligned and then just drop down. We are still working on estimating the decimals as well. That is a good way to see if your estimate is close to the actual answer. I keep reminding them to think of it as money. There is a big difference between. 0.71, 7.1, and 71.0. 

Religion- They are finishing up their chapter. They will be testing over it on Monday. 

Next Thursday, Mrs. Sickels and I will send home the parts for those of you who volunteered to be in the kick off Catholic Schools Week mass. Thank you to those who are helping out that day!

Auction- I believe I have some parent helpers creating the basket for the auction. I will get info to you as soon as I know more of the details from them. Thank you! 

Friday, Jan. 20- I will be taking off in the afternoon on Friday to go to Waterloo. My nieces play basketball for Columbus High School and I haven't been able to catch a game. Mrs. Bearden will be here with the 5th graders. I know they will be very excited! 

Have a great weekend! Enjoy these warmer weather days. I can handle January with these temps! 
God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment