Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Hello Parents, I am going to give you a run down of next week's activities for Catholic Schools Week before I do anything else!

Jan. 29- Kick off to our week with mass at Holy Spirit at 9am.  If your child has a part in it, they will see it in their take home folder on a white sheet of paper. They should be at church by 8:30 and look for me or Mrs. Simmons.  Please join us afterwards for breakfast in the basement! 

Jan. 30- Wear blue and gold day!  11:30 lunch for the staff at A&G. Students need a sack lunch. Milk is provided. No extra drinks.  Parent volunteers be here by 11:15. 

Jan. 31-  Sports Day ( you can wear sweats and hats)  Support your favorite sport or team! Grades 4-8 will be going to view the movie Hidden Figures in the morning. Look for a permission form and letter to fill out. The money is due when you return the permission slip. They aren't paying at the theater. I know you are welcome to join us! Just let us know and pay your $4 with your child's fee. We are NOT doing any refreshments at the theater. 

Feb 1- America Day- wear your red, white, and blue We will be doing some service projects with our Advent Angels that afternoon. 

Feb. 2- Pajama Day! Talent Show in the afternoon at 1:00. You are welcome to come and watch!!  Make sure your child has what they need if they are performing that afternoon. 

Feb. 3- Dress Up Day. We will be having mass at Holy Spirit at 1:30. The kids will be riding the bus to the church at 1:00. They will meet their special guest or grandparent there. Let me know if your child doesn't have anyone to sit with. Many times we get volunteers, but they could also sit with me! Your child may leave from there, but they just need to find me and let me know. There will be cookies and juice in the basement after mass is over.

Reading- This week we read the story Lunch Money. It is about a boy who creates, draws,and writes his own comic books. He sells them for a quarter a piece. We also read an informational text on the history of comic books. In art on Wednesday, they each picked out a picture of a comic book superhero to color or a graffiti art to color. Our grammar this week is on adjectives. They were identifying the adjectives in a sentence after locating the linking verbs. We also worked on using articles a, an, and the as adjectives.  

Unit 3 Test scores are done. I have put them in your child's take home folder. We did them online this time. I don't know if that was good or bad. They did have a paper copy of the stories they could refer back to, but I am not sure if they did that or not. Some of the stories were definitely not as interesting and some questions were pretty challenging. 

I do plan on having them read another story next week. I know we will have Catholic Schools Week, but our mornings are pretty much routine, except for Tuesday. They will have a spelling test as well. 

Math- We are finishing up our chapter on adding and subtracting decimals this week. We even touched a little bit on balancing a checkbook. It looks like they will do a review next week Monday. I will start the test on Wednesday most likely, but the way our schedule is looking it might get drawn out into the next week to get it done. I will have to see how things go. I hate to do that, but I will see how things go before I fully commit to doing that. 

Religion- They took their test on Monday and they all did great! We have started our new chapter on baptism and confirmation. 

Next week is going to be a crazy, but fun-filled week! I hope everyone has a good weekend! 

God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment