Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Hello Parents, It is so nice to see the sun again!!! I hope you are all having a great week!

Math- We are working on our fractions. This week we focused on estimating fractions to the nearest Benchmark number (0, 1/2, and 1). Once they estimated the fractions they had to add or subtract them. We are also going to start working on finding the common denominator and creating an equivalent fractions.


Reading- This week they read a story called Mysteries at Cliff Palace . This is located in the Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado.  Their spelling list this week is dealing with suffixes. The words are more difficult because the suffixes sound similar. I told them they would really need to study for their post test on Friday. In Grammar we are covering the rules for creating abbreviations for places and titles. 

On Wednesday, we read our play The Baker's Neighbor aloud together. I wanted them to get a feel for the play and their lines. They are trying out on Thursday with me and possibly Mrs. Mitchell. I will tell them which part they got on Friday. I have to do some switching because I have more kids then parts. They will be practicing with me all week next week. They will perform it for you on Friday, May 13 at 2:15 in the gym. Afterwards we will celebrate with the pink frosted cake and some juice or water.  They will also perform for 1st grade. They might be with you or we will do a dress rehearsal on Friday morning with them. They will be needing costumes, but it isn't anything you should have to shop for. IF they get the part of Manuel, Pablo, or the Judge-- mass clothes. Pablo could wear a hat. If they are Carlos or one of his sisters-- their own clothes. They are supposed to look like kids! One of the women or villagers-- be creative! They are to look older! I've had kids dress up as cowboys or wear hats. I have had girls raid their grandma's closet and find a dress. I have seen wigs, mustaches, hats, scarves, canes, or walker

Their book reports will be due on Monday, May 16. I will do as many as we can that day, but we may have to run into Tuesday as well. We will see.  They should come to school on Monday with their costume and report or poster.  

In their folder is a score sheet of the Unit 5 test they took while I was gone. You will notice that on the revising section I had to adjust the scoring. I guess they didn't copy a page of the test. I am not going to give that to them now. This was a benchmark test which means more stories to read. I believe this was also given the week after Iowa Assessments. 

I know these weeks are going to fly by! I keep reminding them we have a lot to cover before it is over! 

Have  a great weekend! To all the mothers-- I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day! From this daughter-- there was no greater gift from God, then my mom. You do more and mean more than you will ever know!  I am heading to Waterloo to see my niece Gracelyn get ready for her prom.

God Bless, Miss Surma


No comments:

Post a Comment