Thursday, April 23, 2015

Hi Parents, I hope this week has been going well for you! The great news we got this week is that Deborah Pope is home!!!! Our prayers continue for a smooth recovery!

Reading- This week they are taking the unit 5 test. I have chunked the test throughout the week because they are also rehearsing for their play! The rehearsals are going well! Wednesday was our official day of practicing without scripts! They did really well. There are still some areas that need a little work, but overall they are doing GREAT!!! I look forward to you seeing their performance on Friday! Remember it only lasts about 10 minutes once it starts! Afterwards, we will come back to the classroom and enjoy some of that cake!

Next week I will be starting a new unit with them in reading. We are going to read the book The Sign of the Beaver. I have ordered books from the AEA. I will be giving each student a folder that will hold all the the activities and worksheets we will be using. I am posting a picture for you! We will do some reading and discussing in class. They will also be assigned reading and assignments. I am excited about doing this! It will be different from our units. They will still have grammar and spelling worksheets and tests. They won't have those weekly tests over the story. I will be giving them quizzes throughout the book, but those won't be weekly. There will be a final test in the end! We will have a lot to cover in a short time, but the chapters aren't very long!



Book Report- They have two more weeks to be working on those!!! The due date is just around the corner! May 8!!!!

Math- This week they were adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers with unlike denominators. On Wednesday, I threw them the curve ball I had warned them about! They started learning about subtracting fractions with renaming and not only that, but they still had to find that common denominator! :)  For example once they found the common denominator it might look like 12 2/8- 10 5/8=??? We just spent Wednesday practicing it over and over again. Today we will do some more of that with trying to do a couple on their own! 

Field Trip- If you notice in the dates box I posted they have a field trip coming up in May. I have my drivers lined up. We will be going to DMACC in Ankeny to attend the Iowa Children's Water Festival. This is held every year at DMACC. UNI puts this on! Go Panthers! ;) It is just a day for 5th graders. There will be close to 2,000 kids there! It is a day where we walk the campus and attend little workshops or listen to speakers. They talk anything related to water or animals. It is a big science day!  They won't need a sack lunch or drink!!! That is provided for them there! It doesn't cost anything to go! It does happen rain or shine, and I have endured plenty of rainy cold days, probably more than I like to think about! I will send home a permission slip next week. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment