Thursday, March 5, 2015

Hello Parents! I hope you are doing well this week!

Conferences-- Make sure you get on the school's website to check your conference times for next week! If there is a problem, let me or Sarah know. Thanks!!


Reading- We are back in our books! This week we are reading an excerpt from Tuck's Travels by Gary Paulsen. We our working on sequencing the story as well identifying the problem, events, the climax of the story, and the resolution. It is about 3 kids who are on the run from some Comancheros. They are having to walk and search for a safe place from them and the coming storm.  In grammar they are working on choosing the correct form of the verbs be and have. They will have a weekly test on Friday along with a spelling test. I plan on getting in another story next week even though we are only 4 days. 

Math-- Their next chapter was supposed to be working with adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators, but I have had to do some background work. This series is assuming they had this last year already. The 5th graders have some knowledge of fractions, but they need more before they can even begin to work with unlike denominators. So, I am trying to work on this until spring break. I will see how far we get, but I would really like to get into that next chapter when we return from break. I will see how things go.

Religion- We have been working on our Lent chapter.  On Wednesday they had to reenact the story of Jesus going to the marketplace and getting upset.  The extra part in their play is that a reporter will be there "covering" the story! Next week they will do reconciliation with Father as part of our Lenten activities. 

Spring Ahead- Don't forget to change your clocks this weekend! I don't like losing an hour of sleep, but if it means the sun is out longer... I can handle it! :)

I will not be putting out a blog next week since I will see you at conferences! I hope everyone has a great Spring Break!!!! I will be taking Mom back to Doon and spending my week there! 

God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment