Thursday, January 15, 2015

Hello Parents! WOW! It feels like forever since I have talked to you! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! I had a great time at home. Mom did great last week getting her teeth removed. I wasn't planning on the extra day, but after that wind started blowing at 50mph,  I was glad I didn't come back. There is a lot more snow up there!

Catholic Schools Week Plans- We will have our dress up days. IF your child doesn't want to participate, they don't have to, but they will have to follow the normal dress code.

Sunday- Mass at church 9AM,
Monday- HAT DAY!!! Students should also bring a sack lunch. NO DRINKS! Milk will be provided.

Tuesday-COME AS YOU ARE DAY! They can wear their PJs or sweats, a robe, and slippers! I would suggest that if it is cold, they will want their snow pants for recess that day!

Wednesday- CLASS THEME DAY! The 5th graders voted today to do opposite day. Boys will dress as girls and the girls will dress as boys. If your child isn't comfortable doing it, they don't have to participate. I told them to be creative and gutsy! Go all out! I have had 5th graders do this before! It was so fun to see them!

Thursday- Talent Show at 9:30 AM in gym. Students are signing up now to try out! BLUE and GOLD DAY!!!!

Friday- DRESS UP DAY!!! Grandparents/ Special Guest Mass at 1:30 at Holy Spirit Church. Cookies and punch will be served in the basement following mass. If you or the guest are taking the child home that day, please let me know either before that day or find me in the basement and let me know.

Reading- They are taking their unit 3 test this week. On Friday, I will be assigning the next book report. Mrs. Rughair has already talked to them about the books. I am requiring they choose either a Newbery winner or a Newbery Honor book. I do this on purpose. These books have been given this award for their story, but sometimes the kids pass these up because the story doesn't sound interesting or the book jacket is old looking. Inside those book jackets are a lot of great stories. I told them that this Friday I can help them choose a book when we go to the computer lab. I have learned some of their interests so I can possibly head them in the right direction.

Math- We are working on multiplying decimals now. This book again teaches them differently. I have taught them to draw Base 10 blocks to show their multiplication of small numbers and decimals. At first I thought, "Wow, why do this? " But as I sat down with it and did the work myself, I realized it was a great way of showing that regrouping that is happening when we multiply. We usually don't think about it, we just do it. This gives them a better picture. They are doing regular multiplication too with decimals. They are going to learn the way you did, but we are taking things slower.

Aide- We have hired a new aide to replace Miss Miller. We have Miss Ogburn joining us now. She is from Corning and graduated from Pella in December with a degree in history. She will begin working with our centers next week after the testing is done. Right now, she is helping me out with checking papers,etc.

I hope you have a great weekend! I am heading to Doon again. This Saturday is Mom's 80th birthday! Five or her 6 kids will be home to take her out to dinner along with their kids! It will be a full house. Enjoy the warmer temps!
God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment