Thursday, October 9, 2014

Hello Parents! I hope you have had a good week!

Reading- In your child's folder will be a letter and a score sheet from last week's unit test. I tried to explain in the letter what each test covered. I don't need those score sheets back. That is for you to keep. This week we are reading a story on a team of scientists researching the tree kangaroo or tree 'roo.  We are also beginning to work on verbs: action and helping verbs. We also read a myth about how the koala bear got its short tail. They are taking the weekly test and spelling test due to not having school tomorrow. Next week will be back to regular schedule.

Math- I have scored the tests, but I am now working with kids individually on the corrections. As soon as I have met with your child and they make the necessary corrections, I will send their test home. We will start our next chapter today. It begins with division. They will learn the traditional strategy for division, but they will also learn new ways to divide. This last chapter taught them to divide using the Distributive Property. I think giving them more than one to solve the problem will help those kids who struggle. They can pick a way that works for them in the end, but should try to do all the possible ways.

Religion- Most of the kids have already passed their two prayers! Woo hoo! The next step will be learning the Mysteries of the Rosary. There are 20 total. We will learn one mystery at a time. We will do a little research in the Bible to find where the stories are located.


Book Orders- They are in your child's folder. They will be due by next Friday, October 17. 

Class Meeting- I am reading the book Wonder aloud to the class. They are really enjoying it. It is a great story about bullying. The boy August has some facial deformities from birth. He was homeschooled, but then ends up going to school in 5th grade when his parents decide it is time. The kids have been very sympathetic to August as I read. Last week, he was totally shocked when he heard his "best friend" talking about him very negatively. I told the kids to write August's friend Jack a letter from August's point of view expressing what he had heard and how it made him feel. They shared their letters yesterday! WOW! They were so good! I will be sharing them with you at conferences.

Have a great weekend! I brought Mom home last weekend because she was ready to be at home, but my sister is still unable to drive. I am heading there tomorrow after work so that I can take care of the meds,etc. I will be back on Sunday! Mary should be driving in another week or so.
God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment