Thursday, October 2, 2014

Hello Parents, I hope you have had a good week so far!  I can't believe we are in October already! WOW!

Reading- The kids are still finishing up the first unit test. I will send you scores next week when I am done checking everything.  I also gave them their first book report assignment. This isn't due until November 7. That gives them plenty of time to read a book and put together the project. I changed up my projects this year. I was getting tired of the same ones so I found some new ways to share the book. They only choose 1. They have a packet with all the projects listed and what is expected for each one. I am excited to see what they come up with! If you need poster paper or construction paper, I can supply that to them. If you do more than that, you will have to do some shopping. Some of the students have already picked out the book they want to share.

On Friday, I will share with them some of my favorite Halloween stories that my 5th grade teacher read to us. They will then begin writing their own Halloween story. This is one of my favorite projects. I do tell them that their story cannot have any blood or gore described in detail. I am not wanting Nightmare on Elm Street kinds of stories. I like scary or surprising, fun stories...keep it age appropriate.

Math- We will be finishing this chapter up this week. They should be testing on Tuesday of next week. We will be working on reviewing on Friday and Monday. This week they wrote algebraic expressions and learned about the order of operations in algebraic problems.

Religion- I have given them a copy of the two prayers they are to memorize. I told them that starting on Thursday, we will use one of those as our closing prayers before going home. I will quiz them on it beginning next week with Hail Holy Queen. They were quick to remember this was TJ's favorite prayer last year. We will also be saying a decade of the rosary each day.

Homecoming-- Friday is black and red day! It is time to show your support for the Creston Panthers. We are dismissing at 1:10 on that day.Homecoming Float: The Civics Club is putting together a float for the Homecoming parade tomorrow. Any St. Malachy student may ride the float and help distribute candy. Students can get on the float at the beginning of the parade - on Prairie Street east of Sycamore. Students are to be picked up at the Holy Spirit Church parking lot following the parade.

I hope you have a great weekend. I am heading to Doon with my mom. We are going to my niece's wedding, but Mom will be staying in Doon. I think she is tired of being here with me! :) She wants to be in her yard, raking! God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment