Wednesday, September 6, 2023

 I hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend! I know I did! Although cleaning my house is the least of my joys! I was able to finish a couple of books! 


Calendar Dates:

Sept. 8- Substitute for me in the afternoon/ Spirit Day

Sept. 11- FAST Testing begins

Sept. 20- 5th grade mass


September 8 is a Spirit Day- Sweats, hats, and sunglasses for $1. It is also our CY-Hawk Day so they can wear their favorite TEAM shirt. I will be supporting UNI! I am allergic to the other colors! 💜💛💜💛 The temps are supposed to be a little cooler so they might like sweats that day! Again- all of this is optional. They don't have to participate. 

Reading- They took their post test from last week on Tuesday. They also took the weekly assessment. I have to check those yet because they had to write out some answers. The cool thing about that test was that it could be read to them. They just had to have their headphones on. My plan is to start the next module/lesson this week. I gave them their spelling pretest today. I told them the post test would be next Friday.  I will continue this story into next week so we can get a better routine going.  After that we will be on a Monday- Friday schedule. 

Book Report- I have also assigned them their first book report project! They will pick out a chapter book of their choosing, but it does have to be okay'd by me. I gave them a yellow packet with the project ideas and due date. It is supposed to be in their homework folder if you want to check it out! They will have a week to decide on a book. After that, whatever they have chosen they are going to have to finish whether they like it or not. 

Math- We are working on writing numbers in standard, expanded, and word form as well as exponents. On Tuesday, we did timed tests in multiplication and division. They are given 100 problems of each. We did multiplication first and then division. If they get 100% they move down in minutes. If you're wondering what is something you can do at home- this would be great! Get flashcards for both. Work on them in the car when traveling to football practice, or volleyball or dance,etc.  We started work with decimals too! We continued our discussion of place value going to thousandths. Today they learned how to say 0.235 and write it as a fraction 235/1000.

We also got back on our Successmaker program which is getting them to work on more math. Some are working on adding mixed numbers, some were working on area and perimeter, comparing weights like liters and grams, multiplication and subtraction of bigger numbers. 

Substitute- I am going to be leaving early on Friday to go to the dentist. I have a tooth that needs to be pulled and they are putting in a bone graft.  I am leaving here around 11. Mrs. Weight will be with the kids the rest of the day. They know her! I know they will be fine. 

Religion- They are done with the Bible search. You will find that in their Take Home Folders. We started our chapter on creation. 

FAST Testing- this will start next Monday. We test them in reading and math. Once I am all done, the scores will be sent home in their folders. These tests help us decide who needs interventions and LEAP.  We do these 3 times a year. There isn't really anything you can do to prepare them for it. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I am heading to Waterloo. My niece made the homecoming court for her high school and Friday night is the crowning. My nephew and his family are also visiting from Florida! I haven't seen them for 2 years so I am really excited! 

God Bless, 

Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment