Wednesday, October 13, 2021

 Hello Parents, I hope everyone had a great weekend and enjoyed the early out on Friday! I got to my niece's soccer game, but she didn't get the chance to play. It was still great to see her and visit with my brother! 



 Important Dates:

  • Oct. 20- 4th/5th grade mass
  • Oct. 21- PTO Meeting
  • Oct. 28- Conferences/ No School
  • Oct. 29- No School
  • Nov. 1- No School/PD Day

Wipes- I am in need of more wipes. I bought 5 containers a couple of weeks ago and we are nearing the end of that supply. If anyone can help and donate some, that would be much appreciated!  We go through about 45 wipes a day! Thanks so much for your help! 

Reading-  this week they are reading an informational article on tree kangaroos that are found in Papa New Guinea. The scientists in the story are putting collars on them so they can track them and learn about this elusive animal. We are focusing on cause and effect as our skill. In grammar we are talking about action, linking, and helping verbs. 

I have their unit test scores in your child's Take Home Folder. Some of the comprehension scores are not the greatest. This doesn't surprise me. This is pretty typical. This was a Benchmark test and they have more stories to read. I am also not sure they actually went back to look anything up in their stories to help them. Most don't fully comprehend the story when they read it one time. They do have time to read it more than once, if they take the opportunity. 

Math- this week they have been working on adding and subtracting decimals. We getting through this chapter pretty quickly. There is a lesson coming up on problem solving that I think will slow us down a bit. We will most likely do that together in class. I think next week we will be finishing this chapter up. 

Religion- I have given your kids a copy of the two prayers they are to memorize. I am going to start quizzing them on Thursday. I told them to choose whichever prayer they want to do first. It doesn't matter the order. Once they pass one, they will move on to the next. I also told them to focus on learning one prayer at a time, not try to do both. One of the other standards in 5th religion is focusing on the mysteries of the rosaries. That will begin next week. They don't need to memorize them. They are going to use their art skills to display them! 

Conferences- Below is a link to the sign up. This year, we are following little bit of the schedule the public school is doing.  The kids will NOT have school on Thursday, October 28. I am doing conferences that day from 10 am to 6 pm.  This year both parents/guardians are welcome to attend the conferences, unlike last year when we only allowed one person.

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0544A5AA23A2FF2-5thgrade5

Halloween Celebration- we will celebrate Halloween on Wednesday, Oct. 27. The kids can bring their costumes to school that day to change into before the parade. It is a mass day, so they will still have to dress up. 


I hope everyone has a great weekend! Two of my older sisters are coming down this weekend for a little sister bonding! I can't wait to see them! 

God Bless,
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment