Thursday, May 20, 2021

Hello Parents, We are getting down the wire here! WOW!  Where did this year go? 


Slushy Party- We moved this to Monday. Thank you PTO! 

Pizza Party- They will get this on Friday from Lesha and Ethan!  It is also a Spirit Day! 

Book Reports- The kids did a great job.  I was excited to learn about some new people this year! I have gone over all their slides and graded them. Now, many of them aren't very happy. I gave them a rubric to follow when I gave the assignment. I am not sure how many looked at it. There is one item that looks at the number of events they include. Over 7 is the highest score. I had heard some kids say, "Why would you do more than 7?" I reminded them that doing more than 7 got you more points. If they chose to do less than 7 their score went down. Grammar, punctuation, spelling, capitalization took the biggest hit. Commas between cities and states, commas for dates and years. Periods at the end of sentences. Capitalizing names of people or places. Some of the kids didn't really cover the information very well for their person.  

Reading- We started the book Freak the Mighty this week. They are really enjoying the story. Mrs. Hensel does this book with the 6th graders. I know we won't finish it this year, so I am giving the books to Mrs. Hensel next week with a note to let her know where we finished. She will do the rest of the book with them in 6th grade.

Math- We are dividing decimals by whole numbers. On Monday, they did fine remembering how to divide, but were making little mistakes along the way like trying to subtract 6 from 5 and not catching their errors. 
The next step is dividing decimals by decimals! Moooove over decimal!!!! 

Field Day - this will begin at 12:45 on Thursday, May 27. The kids will need a sack lunch and drink  that day. 

FAST Testing- Their scores are in their folders. They did really well. Next year in 6th grade they won't do this testing. They do MAP testing in reading and math. All 6-8th graders take this test. They take it 3 times a year just like FAST testing. 

They will be cleaning out their desks and lockers on Wednesday afternoon before they go home. They should make sure they take an empty book bag to school that day or pack another one just in case. 

I don't plan on writing a blog again next week. I am pretty sure any announcements I have will come by email or on Facebook. I hope everyone has a wonderful summer and you are able to get away for a little bit at least. I plan on reading books, going on walks, and seeing my family! I am hoping I can make a trip to Ohio to watch my niece perform in a Shakespeare play. I know the kids are so ready for summer and I won't lie...I am too! We did it! We did in-person learning all year long with some virtual along the way! What a year!!!!  Thank you for your support as the changes seemed never ending down to our last week of school. I pray you all have a safe, happy, and healthy summer! You deserve it and your kids do too! Welcome to 6th grade!!! 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! 
God Bless, 
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment