Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Dear Parents, I hope this week finds you well! Happy Halloween! I hope the week is going well. It feels like a busy one that's for sure!

Reading- This week we read a section from the book Old Yeller. I told them they can read it for our next book report, but that isn't for awhile so I wouldn't start it today! The section we read deals with Travis and his mom attempting to rescue his younger brother from a bear. Arlis is holding onto the paw of a bear cub and won't let go even though he is scared. We talked a lot about dialect in this story and I tried to explain that it isn't their "accent", it is how they say a word or phrase something. It can be regional. I told them when I moved to Creston I noticed quite a few people saying "warsh" instead of "wash".  We also talked about how Travis changed his feelings for his brother and the dog by the end of our story.

In grammar we are working on direct and indirect objects. They are taking notes in a notebook. I told them they can use the notes during the test on Friday because they will have to be able to pick them out from the sentence and it does get confusing on remembering which is which.

Book Report- Their first project is due on November 14.


Math- On Monday and Tuesday, I taught them a new strategy to divide with double digit divisors by using partial quotients. They are basically dividing by 10 until they can't any longer. I would say the majority thinks it is super easy and likes this method. I did tell them this work is to be done at school, not at home. I didn't want to freak any parents out! 😉Although, your kids might try to teach you. As I told them, I will teach them the standard algorithm, but for the test...they can use either one. Both ways will come up with the same answer, but this new strategy does take more paper. I won't be surprised if they change their minds once they do the standard way.  For those kids who struggle with basic facts and estimating, this is really a great strategy!

Religion- They are now finished with the Glorious Mysteries and will be working on the Joyful Mysteries. Their posters are very cool. They are being hung up outside my room.
Don't forget- mass is on Friday this week for All Saint's Day! Dress Up on Friday! 

Social Studies- Mark your calendar! The projects are due on Monday! Just bring them in that morning. We usually put them in Mrs. Mitchell's room. There will be an Iowa History Fair on Wednesday from 2:00-2:45

Cell Phones- Just a reminder that if the kids bring a cell phone to school, it is to stay in their bag and off once they get on school property. This hasn't been an issue for my kids, but we are all putting the reminder out there. 

Halloween Parade is at 2:30 in the gym! All are welcome! 

Thanks to Heidi Rohrig for supplying the kids with pumpkins to paint in art! They will bring them home on Thursday! They had a fabulous time! 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I have no real plans which is really nice actually! Next week is conference week. Make sure you have picked your time and day to come and visit with me! 
God Bless, 
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment