Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Hello Parents, Well, it is my final letter of the year. There isn't much to tell you so it will be short.

Math- We did some more work adding and subtracting mixed numbers. They still need the practice. Some of them aren't understanding simplifying fractions. I know they will get more practice with fractions next year in Mrs. Cline's math class, but if there is ever a reason to add or subtract fractions or mixed numbers this summer....have them solve it for you! The extra practice can't hurt.

Reading- We did a quick writing activity this week. I usually do this in January, but our winter was not cooperative! I read them the the book The Mysteries of Harris Burrdick by Chris Van Allsburg. Inside are 14 pictures along with a title and caption for each. They had to create a story based on that title and include the caption somewhere in their story. They wrote them on their chrome books on Tuesday. On Wednesday, they had to pair up and edit them. Then they sent them to me. I did a quick edit of them so they could read them aloud on Thursday.  (They don't know this yet, but when they share them, we are also having a popcorn buffet).  Mrs. Sickels and I are getting popcorn for our kids. I am offering toppings to the 5th graders to go with their popcorn. Shhh....it's a surprise. 😉😉 This is one of my favorite activities to do with them. I am sorry it had to be rushed, but they did a great job of getting to work and creating their story. I will send home their story in their folders.

We will be cleaning out their desks on Thursday before they go home. They should have an empty book bag when they come to school so they can take their stuff from their desks and lockers home with them. 

Friday- We will have mass at 9:15 as usual. This is Father's last mass. We will also be celebrating Kay Boden's retirement.  After mass, Mrs. Simmons will recognize the middle school students and their participation in activities. After that there will be a cookie reception.  The students will have lunch at their normal times. The Glynn family is providing the main part of our meal by grilling out! We love this tradition, but it is probably the last time since Reese graduated! In the afternoon, we will do our Field Day activities. The 5th graders should make sure to wear tennis shoes, no sandals.  We will have a Clap-Out for the 8th graders at 3:00. After that the kids will go home as usual.

I  am working on progress reports. They will be done by June 3.

I hope everyone has a great summer! If you are traveling, have fun, but be safe! Enjoy the weather, sleeping in, spending time with family and friends. I will say...read a book once in awhile! Go to church. Visit the library.  Do some math problems! 
I leave on Tuesday to fly out to my sister in PA. My nephew graduates from high school next Thursday. I will be there for 11 days! I can't wait!!!  I plan on reading books too! I will most definitely spend time with my family. I will be taking a writing class in August. 
Thank you for choosing St. Malachy. Thank you for allowing me to spend a year with your kids. I think they did some growing up and learned some new things. This is a class full of talent! I am excited to see what they do next in middle school. I wish them all the best! 😊😊
Happy Summer Vacation!
God Bless,
Miss Surma


No comments:

Post a Comment