Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Hello Parents, I am so loving this weather more than last weekend's weather. I sat at my niece's soccer tournament in Waverly in the rain and cold all day on Saturday. I think I jinx that tournament! That's two times, we sit and freeze! I also got to meet my great niece Rosalina. I am pretty sure she told me I am her favorite great aunt! :) 

Reading- This week they are taking their unit 5 tests. On Friday they will be trying out for a part in our Baker's Neighbor Play.  They will use their scripts for the tryouts but once I give them their part, they need to start memorizing it! We will use reading time next week to practice the play. They will perform it for you on Friday, May 24 at 2:15 in the gym. It is only about 10 minutes. After the play, they come back to my room to celebrate and eat the pink frosted cake. If they would rather skip that and just go home with you, that is fine too. Just make sure you let me know before you leave.  I will let you know about costumes once I have assigned the roles.  The first graders will also be there to watch. If your 5th grader was here in 1st grade- they did the same thing!  They won't have homework in reading next week--only to memorize their lines.  I put a play announcement in your child's Thursday folder. If you can't make it, feel free to send a grandparent! 

I am getting their book reports graded, slowly. I tend to go back and look through their book to make sure things were correct or if they couldn't find it and  I do. I was really pleased with all of them. The costumes were great! 

Math- This week they are comparing fractions to find if they are greater, less than, or equal to. They are also learning to write them in order from least to greatest. 

Spring Concert- Don't forget the Spring Concert is next Wednesday, May 22 at the high school!  There will be a special reception to follow for Father Halbur. 

Reading Scores- In your child's folder are their reading fluency scores for the spring. I made notes on some of them. They will do these again in 6th grade with Miss Steinkamp.

Growth Talk- I have 3 kids who still need to turn in their permission form for the growth talk video. That is going to happen next Friday. 

Spirit Day- This Friday they can wear sweats and/or a hat for $1! 

Have a great weekend! Hopefully the weather stays as nice as it is this week! I know there are many sports and graduation parties going on. 
God Bless,
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment