Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Hi Parents, Wow! Such a week!


Reading- This week we are reading one of my favorite stories  in this unit. We read a story called They Called Her Molly Pitcher. This is a great story to give them details of the harshness the soldiers went through during their battles in 1777 and 1778. Ask your children what life was like for them on the battlefields and in the camps. I would guess you have heard of Molly Pitcher, but I never knew her story. She definitely helped during the war. Ask your kids how she got her name because her real name was Mary Hays. She was definitely a brave woman! They will test over this on Friday along with the spelling test. 

When we get back from break, I will be giving them a writing assignment that goes along with our unit. I will also be assigning the next book report project. 

Math- We have started our next chapter on decimals. We are starting with learning the place value position and names for them: tenths, hundredths, and thousandths. They have to learn how to write it in expanded form, written form, and standard form. I can tell some have had no experience with this, which is totally fine. I keep referring to it as money and it seems to make more sense. 

Religion- I did push getting through the end of our chapter so they could take a test over it before Christmas break. They have a study guide and will test tomorrow. When we get back from break we will do a little with Christmas. 

Friday- It is a Spirit Day- they can wear sweats for $1. It is also Ugly Christmas Sweater Day! They can wear one if they have it. Please don't feel you need to go out and buy one! I am wearing a Christmas sweatshirt, but I don't feel it is ugly! :) 

They will need a sack lunch as well. They do not need a drink. Milk will be provided. They will eat with their angels around 11:45. Afterwards, they will sing Christmas carols in the gym from 12:15-12:45. You  are welcome to join us if you are free!  If you want to take your child home afterwards...you can! Just let me know before you leave. 

I hope everyone has an AMAZING Christmas and break! I am heading to Waterloo on Sunday. I will be at my brother's house. Two of my sisters and their families will be joining us. My sister Eva is driving in from Pennsylvania on Sunday! I can't wait to see her! Mrs. Sickels and I will be spending New Years in Branson, MO. We have never been there so that will be a fun little trip! Have fun. Enjoy your time with family. Eat a ton.Be safe.  Enjoy the break. Remember the real reason for this season: the magic of Christmas is not in the presents, but in HIS presence. Merry Christmas! 
God Bless, 
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment