Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Hello Parents, I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving break!  You even got an extra day! I had a great time with my brother's family in Waterloo. I even got up at 5 am to watch my nephew do his live broadcast for KWWL News on Black Friday. While the hour wasn't my fave, it was fun to see him on TV!

Reading-This week we are taking the Unit 2 test. I will get you scores next week. Next week I am excited because I get to start my Revolutionary War unit. All of our stories in the next unit will be in some way dealing with the war. I think there are a lot of great stories and we get to meet some cool people! They will also get to hear my Hamilton soundtrack! They will learn about King George and laugh when they hear him sing!

Math-This week they are just working more on long division. The struggle is real. They are doing fine really, better than I anticipated! They just get frustrated because now I have taught them to check their work by multiplying which is another step, but also it teaches them to slow down. They get frustrated when things don't match up, but usually the errors are in their initial multiplication when dividing or subtracting. Some are forgetting they have more numbers to bring down to finish the problem. We will also be looking at the remainders to see what they could possibly do with them. Could we cut them up so that we have a fraction? Do we just add one more bus so that everyone gets to go on the field trip if the dividing didn't work out evenly? Maybe there is nothing you can do, so it is just a remainder.  This chapter will be done in the next couple of weeks.

Religion- We focused on getting ready for mass so far, but now we will be back in the books and focusing on the Beatitudes.  Thank you for helping with the noisy change collection. There will be another one next week. I believe our family has 4 kids that want new clothes.

Food Pantry- There is a flyer going home to help with donations for the Food Pantry this month. We are starting the collection on Dec. 3 and it will end on the 14th.  If you can help, please do. Thank you!

Spirit Day- They can wear sweats on Friday, Nov. 30 for $1!! 

Book It Calendar- The November calendars will be due on Monday because if they want to read anymore at home on Friday, they can add on those minutes. The December calendar will be given to them on Friday. I believe it goes up to 700 minutes. That's about 23 minutes a day, but they need to think about Christmas break. Will they read over break? I hope so, but I know they may be too busy. 

Advent - It starts this weekend! They will get to work with their Advent Angels starting next Wednesday. 

Music Program- The Christmas program is next Wednesday night, December 5 at 6 pm. It is held at the high school in their auditorium. There is a permission form in your child's folder for you to fill out. We will go over by bus on Wednesday afternoon to practice. 

On Dec. 6 the 5th graders will be singing for the ladies in our church. They will also get to eat there! They put out a really nice spread! I believe Mrs. Stoner will be sending home a permission form for that as well. They don't have to dress up for that. They can just dress like a normal school day. 

I know there is a weather change coming for when our kids can be outside before school and at recess. Mrs. Simmons will be putting it in her blog. I will get it to you once she has it posted. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend. If the weather is cooperative, I am supposed to go to Des Moines on Sunday to meet up with my sister and her daughters and granddaughter. We have tickets to Aladdin! 
God Bless,
Miss Surma


No comments:

Post a Comment