Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Hello Parents, I hope you are having a good week. I really really hope the rain is done for awhile! 

Religion- The kids are passing their prayers! Some still have to work on memorizing them. They need to take them home and practice with you. We did say the Rosary in the chapel on Monday. They led it. I didn't really have to do much but pray with them. It was so nice. They were very respectful of being in there. If I haven't said it before, this is my favorite thing in religion. 

Math- This week they were learning to solve division problems using the Distributive Property! It is much like they did last week, but now they can't tell me, "I don't remember how to divide!" They now have another strategy until we get into the division chapter. We are also working on some algebra. They learned about writing numerical expressions today. This means they can write 3+2, but there is no equal sign being used. They are also learning to write word problems that match up with their expression. That part is tricky. We are also going to be working using the order of operations with brackets, braces, and parentheses. We are nearing the end of this chapter. I see a test in the near future. This chapter packs a lot of information. 

Reading- This week we read an informative story about the tree kangaroos. We also focused on cause and effect. This group was in Papua New Guinea trying to track them so they could put collars on them and get information from the chip in the collar. Tree 'roos are an elusive animal. In grammar we worked on action verbs, helping verbs and main verbs. 

In your child's folder is a score sheet from the Unit test. The first test is a Benchmark test. It has the same number of questions, but there are more stories for them to read and they are longer. Scores were a little bit of what I expected,but I did go over that with your kids on Monday. I talked about how in a normal week we read our story 3 times. This test is all cold reads, but it doesn't mean they can only read it once. I suggested on the test days that they take the time to read it more than once. I don't expect them to retain all that information on the first read-through. I don't how many did that. I don't know how many went back to the story to look up the answers. If the question was asking something more fact oriented, they should be able to find it. I really think some were rushing through to be done so they could read their free reading book because it was the start of our Book It calendars. I will discuss these with you at conferences. Something you could do at home is have your child tell you each day what is happening in the book they are reading or about the story we are reading in class. That can only help with their comprehension. This would be good to do with their book report book.Maybe you are reading a book together at home...ask them questions as you go. The book I am reading aloud to them, we often stop and make predictions or have these A-HA moments. 

Speaking of the book I am reading aloud, just to let you know, this week they had a lesson in puberty. That is what I get for not having read the book before this. I even told them I might skip the chapter, I wasn't sure they could handle it. They assured me, they could handle it fine. I read it. It was about one of the girls getting her period. I know there were some looks across the room, but no giggles. I was impressed. They will be ready for the "talk" with the nurse in the spring. 😂😂


Money-- I just wanted to make sure you were aware that many of the 5th graders are loaning 50 cents to their friends for Ala Cart at lunch, which is totally fine. I am glad so many are so generous. I also know that some of them are not paying those people back in a timely manner. I have been talking to them that if they don't have money at home to pay someone back, they shouldn't be taking it. I have also told the others that maybe they don't loan out the money. I told them that in the real world if they borrow money from a bank and don't pay it back, they will be charged interest. I just wanted you aware of our conversations. I am not saying they can't loan the money, but I want them to understand there can be consequences sometimes for that. I also want the others to be responsible and have their own money with them and not keep taking from others. It will stop some arguments that are starting to occur. 

Friday, October 12, the public school doesn't have school. We do. There won't be any buses on Friday. You will need to drop off and pick up your child. 
Monday, October 15, we don't have school. The teachers will be in Des Moines for PD. 

Spaghetti Supper is this Saturday from 5-7! I will be working the dessert table so maybe I will see you! There are some really nice raffle prizes. The Civics Club will also be providing activities and games in the classrooms. Hope to see you there!!

Have a great weekend! God Bless, 
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment