Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Dear Parents, 
Happy Wednesday! I just want to remind you that tomorrow morning is Muffins with Mom. It starts at 7:30. Once the kids are done eating and you need to go, send your children outside to the courtyard. I hope many of you are able to join us! 

Reading- This week they are reading the story Old Yeller. They are only getting a little bit of the story. We had kids talking about the story who have seen the movie. So, the kids know that it is a sad story. We also discussed how many dog books and movies are sad. :( One of the things we talk about during this story is the use of dialect. We have to discuss that dialect and accents are not the same thing. It is how we say the words. The best example is the title...Yeller which is really the word yellow. We also focus on talking about the characters which I think I have turned into a game for Thursday. 
Our grammar this week is focusing on direct and indirect objects. I will probably give them some key questions to remind themselves during the test on Friday. The two can be confusing. I already told them they will need to slow down on that section of the test to make sure they are answering the correct way. 

They are getting their Halloween stories back from me this week.  I was able to edit many of them over the weekend. They are typing them up here on their chromebooks. I will have them posted in the hallway during conferences if you want to read your child's story. It's been a great thing because they are learning how to indent, choose their font style and size and use things like quotation marks! 

Math- We are working on writing and solving expressions. Today we are solving expressions that are in parentheses, brackets, and braces. I have given them little cue cards to they remember the order in which to solve the problems. They will be able to use those when we test, which I believe will be next week sometime. I also remind them that their tests are 25 word problems...not basic computation. They will have to read the problem to figure out what it is they have to do in order to solve the problem. The key being--show your work! 

Religion- This week we are going to start working on knowing the mysteries of the rosary. I got an idea from a teacher in Des Moines on Monday, so I am switching things up. They will be working in groups to draw a certain mystery. Plus they will have to look it up in the Bible. I am also going to require them to write a quote of what they think Mary was thinking or saying at that point. The rosary is really about Jesus through Mary's eyes. 

Social Studies- Just your final reminder that their rough draft for their town/city report is due on Friday. Many of them have been working on them here during their free time. 

Mass- We have mass next week with 3rd and 4th graders. NOT all the kids of course will get a part because we just cannot do that. I have given the kids their parts if they are reading something so they can practice that at home with you. All of you are welcome to come, especially since after mass we are having a donut/coffee/juice reception for you and your kids. It would be great to see you! 

Conferences- I have posted on my FB page, blog and sent emails. Please sign up for your day and time to meet with me! 

I hope you have a great weekend. I may be at a niece's soccer game in Des Moines this weekend, but I haven't received the information from my brother yet. We shall see! As long as it isn't raining this time, life will be great! 
God Bless, 
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment