Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Hello Parents, 
I cannot believe I am typing my final blog for the school year. I am just not sure where our time went! 

Reading-- They read a story this week and will test over it on Tuesday. They will have their spelling test that day too. This week's story was another play. It is funny how "into character" they were when we read the story. Hmmmm.... I think they picked up the acting bug a little bit. 
Today they were to pick a city somewhere in the world and find information on it. They are creating a brochure that you might find in a travel agency. We have kids research Hawaii, Russia, India, Mexico, Australia, and Ireland plus many more. They will share their brochures with the class before our year is done next week. 

Math- We are getting close to the end of our chapter. Today they are using fractions with the associative and commutative properties. The most common issues I see are remembering that you need a common denominator before you can add or subtract and that all answers need to be simplified! Even if the fraction is something like 13/7. It should be written as 1-6/7.  I plan on them taking a test next Wednesday over this chapter. That will be their final test for me in math.

Religion- On Tuesday we celebrated our room's patron saint...Saint Rita of Cascia. We were given a movie on her so we watched it. It was more of a documentary with subtitles. We would stop it once in awhile to discuss her life. The kids were in shock that the laws on marriage said that boys had to be at least 14 years old and girls 12. You can be happy to know...none of yours were ready for that kind of commitment yet! They were also really impressed by her stigmata. It is legend that a thorn pierced her forehead and took over 15 year to heal. There is a lot more to that story, but they were really interested in that part. 
 In Guidance we are talking about families and what makes up a family. They broke up into groups on Monday and created skits to show a word and how we see it being used in families. Some of the words are respect, loyalty, commitment,  and compassion. They will work on those and share with the class on Thursday. 

Play- Thank you to all who were able to make it to our play last week. We hope you enjoyed it! I have been doing it for so long, but every year I enjoy how each class takes it on as their own. They did a terrific job! 

Congratulations to Ava Adamson for winning the Dollars for Scholars essay contest for our room

Next week Thursday, May 31 we will do field day in the afternoon at 1:00. You are welcome to join us! Pack your lawn chairs and maybe some sunblock! I am also having them clean out their desks on this day as well. Make sure you have an empty bookbag or another bag for all of their belongings. They definitely need tennis shoes for field day. 

Friday, June 1st-- We will have mass. They do not need to dress up. Shorts are fine! We will do awards at 10:00 or around there-- it will follow mass. I believe I am getting a pie in the face. :) 
They will need a sack lunch today. Milk is provided. 

I am almost finished. I just want to say a final good-bye. It's always bittersweet letting them go because they have been in our wing for 3 years, so I have gotten to know them better each year. Over that time I always see the growth and changes they make. They have done that again this year. They are different kids from when they first arrived in my door. I am proud of the growth and the changes I have seen them take. Their relationship as a class has even grown. I don't hear the fighting (as much) as in the beginning of the year. I see more support and laughter for and with each other. I have seen growth in reading and math and religion! I hope they have a terrific summer. I hope they have some fun and continue to work on their math or even pick up a book now and again. I wish them well in middle school. I hope they wave when they see me in the hallways or the gym. Thank you for choosing St. Malachy. Thank you for allowing me to spend some time with your kids! ❤

Finally, enjoy your 3 day weekend. I will not be at the 8th grade graduation because I am heading to Doon. The bench we created for our parents is finished. We have a spot by our town park we are going to put it and that will be done on Saturday morning. I will post a picture on our Facebook page. It's the final item my siblings and I can do for our parents. We wanted to leave something behind for the town because of all Doon had done for them, but also each of us. We may not have a house to go to anymore,but it is and always will be home. 

God Bless  and have a wonderful summer!!!!!
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment