Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Hello Parents, I hope you are having a great week! It is a little bit of a crazy week with Valentine's Day and Fat Tuesday, but then  Ash Wednesday to follow. 


Reading- This week they are reading a nonfiction story by Peg Kehret. She wrote about the time she attempted to write a newspaper about her dog. Her dog has a special background. He was found as a newborn puppy during WWII by her uncle. He and his buddies took care of the dog and raised him. When the war was over, her uncle took him back to Minnesota with him. They are also working on identifying facts and opinions within the story. Our grammar piece is working on prepositions. We are creating some interactive notebooks. I am allowing them to use them during their tests on Fridays because I know these are hard to pick out. The notebook might not have the answer, but it will hopefully guide them in the right direction. 

Math- The test over our chapter took 2 days. Our next chapter is on dividing decimals. It looks like next week they will be doing some of that hands-on with Base 10 blocks. 

Religion- They finished this chapter in perfect time. Ash Wednesday is here and that begins our Lenten season. Our next chapter will focus on that.I also told them that during our Lenten season, I was going to take them to the chapel once a week. We will pray the Rosary. They filled out their Lenten promises on Tuesday. 

Auction- Danielle Steele is going to take some pictures of the kids on the 20th for our silent auction item. We had 2 other dates, but she has had a sick child. We said we would go with the 20th and whoever is here will be in the pictures. We can't wait for all 18 to be here. Please remember to do what you can to help donate to our 3-5 auction basket and our silent auction item. Many hands make it much easier!!! I appreciate the donations we've received so far. Thank you!!! 


Need for a Break- Some of the 5th graders are kind of struggling with appropriate behaviors and responses to behaviors. I see a lot of knit-picking on things that aren't big things, but they are getting frustrated more easily so they act out by pushing or hitting or just doing things that they don't normally do. It isn't everyone. I am not calling anyone out on it. I know they need spring break and our indoor recesses don't help. I am trying to teach them that pushing back (physically or with words) is not going to get the result you were hoping for,but instead it could cause you to have a consequence. There are some things we just need to blow off and there are other things that hurt our feelings or could hurt us physically. We need to use our common sense before doing reacting. This is NOT anything new. It usually starts in February. I am just making everyone aware. Again, nothing so serious that I need to contact you personally. We are just getting into that Spring Fever mode. We need to stop before before we act and think. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I need to head back home. My siblings and I are purchasing a bench as a memorial for our parents in our hometown. I need to go home and help with the design,etc. 
God Bless, 
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment