Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Hello Parents, Happy Thursday! I hope you are all having a great week! 

Substitute- I am gone on Friday, October 6. I am taking a class in Sidney. There will be a sub here on that day. 

Reading- They have been taking their unit test this week. They will finish it up today. Scores will be sent home next week. 

Book Report- I assigned the first report. It isn't due until November 16. I told them they have to have their chapter book picked out by October 11. After that they will not be able to switch to another book. I also gave them a handout with the different options for their project. 

Halloween Story- Every year the 5th graders write Halloween stories. On Wednesday, I read some of my favorite short stories that my 5th grade teacher read to my class . On Friday, when the sub is here, they will spend time writing their story. The story will be a rough draft that is written in print. I told them to skip lines. It is easier for me to edit. The final draft will be typed on their Chromebook. I give them a week to do the rough draft. The final copy is all dependent on how quickly I get them edited. They will probably have different due dates.

Math- We are still working on our chapter, but we are really working on multiplication and division using distributive property as well as the order of operations. I would guess that they will test over this chapter next week. These last couple of lessons are a bit more challenging to get the process down. What I have liked is that when I ask them to divide a problem, so me of them have said they don't remember the standard way so they can't do it. I remind them that now they can do it with the distributive property way!!! This way they can't say... I can't divide! 

Religion- They took their test on Tuesday over Chapter 2. Now we are focusing on the Rosary. We will say a decade every day. On Fridays, I usually take them to the chapel to say the entire rosary. Right now they are working on memorizing The Apostles' Creed and Hail Holy Queen. After that they will work on knowing every decade of the rosary. We won't be in our books for awhile. They can certainly work on memorizing those prayers at home with you. 

Reminder-- No School on Friday, Oct. 13 and Monday Oct. 16. We have PD days here in Creston and in Des Moines. 

Have a great weekend! I am heading to Doon from Sidney to do some more packing at my parents' house. 
God Bless,
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment