Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Hello Parents, 
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Years! I had a great time back home. My siblings and I gathered at my parents' home for our last Christmas in the house. We will sell their home this coming fall at some point. Many many laughs were shared and a few tears, but overall a wonderful time. 

Reading- This week we are reading a story about James Forten who was an African American who worked on some of the battle ships during the Revolutionary War. Our discussion today was focused on the fact that he wanted to become a soldier and help out, but that the reality of his situation was that he could be captured and sent to the West Indies to become a slave, even though he was a free man. Again we had a great discussion throughout the story on what it must have been like for him during that era. We also learned about the making of the sails for the ships and how difficult a job that was for the men. The thread they used could cut their hands like a knife. They had to use wax to coat the thread in order to make it easier. 
Grammar- They are working with commas and semicolons this week. They are learning to put them in places more than just separating items in a series. 
I will probably be setting a date soon for the next book report. I want to look at my calendar a bit more. 

Math- This week we started working with decimals. At this point they are learning the place value names and then recognizing what happens when you multiply or divide a decimal number by 10. The key is to notice how that decimal moves to the right or the left. They were using calculators in class, but soon some of them figured out the pattern and did it mentally! Woo hoo! We also created some dance steps " to the right , to the right, to the right" when we multiply and "to the left, to the left, to the left" when we divide! It was fun! Some of them have already got a pretty good idea of decimals because of dealing with money, but also because they are doing that work on the Chromebooks with their ST Math. 

Religion- We came back and are doing a short chapter covering the Christmas season since we are still in it until Sunday. 

Auction- I know it is early, but I am asking now for help with the auction basket or the silent auction item. I will be asking for donations to the basket as well once we have a theme chosen. If any of you are willing to take on one of those items, please let me know. First come first serve. I will also help out! The auction is set for Saturday, March 4, 2017. I believe 8th grade is already doing a Christmas basket. Just email me or send a note with your child! I can also help out in picking a theme. 

Friday, January 13, is a Spirit Day! We will also walk to the Food Pantry to help out in the afternoon! Hopefully the temps will be better than this week! 

Catholic Schools Week is around the corner. Be sure to keep an eye out for the schedule of activities for that week! There will also be a volunteer list being sent home for the kick off mass at Holy Spirit Church. Mrs. Sickels and I are planning that one. 

Have a great weekend! Stay Warm!
God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment