Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Hello Parents, I hope everyone had a GREAT spring break! I had a nice relaxing week in Doon and the snow seemed to miss us there! Yahoo! We also went to Waterloo for Easter. It was great to see my sister and her kids from PA!!

Field Trip Change- There was a miscommunication with Howe Elementary on the date of our trip. We are now moving it to Tuesday, April 26. I have one parent for sure as a volunteer, possibly 2, but could still use one more. Does the date change help??? You would still need to attend the training on  April 5 or 6. Please let me know by Monday! I apologize for the mix-up! 

Iowa Assessment Week- Next week they will be taking these tests. I will remind your children to just do the best they can-- that is all I want from them. I will remind them to get a good night's sleep each night. Eating a good breakfast that fills them up is helpful as well. I know the PTO is creating the snacks for our break. They should also have a free reading book or a magazine to look at when they are finished with each test so they don't distract others. I will do my best to create a stress free environment. Their schedule will be a little crazy this week due to the testing. They won't have every class every day. We are developing a schedule. They will continue to get their specials and library time. 

Mass- The 5th grade mass is next week. I will assign them their parts this Friday. You are welcome to join us!!! 

Reading- We are reading a story that is historical fiction this week. It is from a little girl named Rachel. She is writing a journal of her traveling in the 1800s with a wagon train. 
Our grammar this week is focusing on using the comparative and superlative forms of adjectives and adverbs. For example: good, better, best or bad, worse, worst. You can also use the words more or most with an adjective...more beautiful or most beautiful. 
They will take their weekly test on Friday. Next week during assessment week we will not have a story to read. We are going to take a break. 

Math- They are beginning to divide decimals by decimals this week. They are doing really well! In fact, I have even heard some of them say, " I like this kind of math!"  That makes me smile because they didn't really say that when they were doing basically the same thing a couple of chapters ago! :)

Substitute-- There will be a sub here on Friday afternoon. I am leaving at noon to head back to Waterloo. My niece is being confirmed on Friday night. Mom and I will be there for the weekend. Mrs. Bearden will be my sub. I know the kids will love that!

I hope you have a GREAT weekend! 
God Bless,
Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment