Wednesday, January 13, 2016


If you are interested in the PTO's Trivia Night-- here is the link to get your spot! 
Here is the link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e084aa8aa23a4fd0-trivia


Happy Thursday Parents! I hope you are having a great week! The weather has shown us that it is definitely WINTER! Sounds like we get another round of cold this weekend. I miss June weather! 


Reading- This week they are taking their unit test. I will send home score sheets next week. They will finish this up on Friday. They are also doing another creative writing story. Their rough draft is due on Friday. I think most are already done. I read them the book The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg. Inside were 14 pictures. Each picture had a title with a caption. They chose one. They wrote a story based on that title, and they had to include that caption somewhere in the story. Once I am done editing them, we will go to the computer lab here at school. They will type their story there. This will take a bit because we won't go to the lab every day.

Book Reports- They were assigned their next book report. They were to choose a Newbery winner or Newbery Honor book. I went over a list of them. This award has been around for a very long time. They get the award based on the writing. Most of them found books from my bookshelf, others had one already at home, or they checked one out of the library. They have until Monday to decide if they need to change their book. They will be due at the end of February. They were also given the list of book report ideas again. They cannot do the same project they did the first time. On Tuesday night I even found one on my bookshelf at home--so now I am reading a Newbery winner as well. So far mine is pretty funny! I told them a little about it on Wednesday! 

Math- They are testing today (Thursday) over this chapter. I am not sure of what our next chapter will be because I need to look at the material I need to teach for their field trip in April. They have done a great job with their assignments for this chapter. I feel good about what they can do for the test. 

Religion- They did great on their test.  We started our next chapter discussing a story about a Pharisee and a tax collector. The point of the story was Jesus telling us to be humble and not exalt. We are also discussing what it means to show mercy towards others, to be able to forgive others who have hurt us. 

Their mass is next week! Just a reminder that there will be a reception for you after mass! Join the 5th graders for juice, coffee, and donuts. 

Auction- I am still looking for volunteers to help me out with the live auction basket and/ or the silent auction item. Please let me know ASAP if you are able to help out! Thanks!!!

Spirit Day on Friday!!!! $1 for sweats!! ;)

I am heading to Doon this weekend. It is my mom's 81st birthday- so my sister and I plan to take her out for dinner!  Have a great weekend! Stay warm!!!! 

God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment