Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Hi Parents! Well, I guess my blog fixed itself! Love when that happens! I hope you are having a good week!

Reading- This week they are taking their first unit test. I have broken it up each day. You will get the test results next week in their take home folder. We will start a new story on Monday. They will also have spelling again next week! 

Book Report- I assigned the report on Tuesday. They have all chosen a book to read. I gave them until next Tuesday, Oct. 13, to decide if they need to change their book choice. They project will be due on Friday, November 13. 

Book Order- They have an order form for October in their folders. If you are ordering, please return the order by Oct. 16.

Math- We are working on algebraic expressions this week and order of operations. This can be tricky. They are working hard though and have figured out the steps to solve it. I told them on Wednesday that they will most likely be testing next week. I have also discussed with the 5th graders that unless it says "mental math", I want to see their work. I want to see what they are thinking in order to solve that problem. We also discussed that there are some things such as basic facts that I don't need to see on paper, but if it is a multi-step problem, I want to see what they are doing to solve it. This is mostly when I see them doing a multiple choice math problem and they fill in the answer, but I don't see how they got it. That is especially true if they are multiplying large numbers. 

Religion- WOW! They have really taken off on memorizing their two prayers. Almost everyone has already passed this piece!  The next step will be learning all of the decades of the rosary. 

Art- This week, I had them follow the steps of an artist online to create the character Anger from the movie Inside Out by Disney. They aren't finished yet, but what they have done is awesome! They watch, I pause the video, they draw, and we repeat the steps.

Mrs. Mitchell is on maternity leave now. Susan Weight will be her substitute.

Have a great weekend! Don't forget to attend the Spaghetti Supper if you are in town!!!
God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment