Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hello Parents,
Happy Thursday! I hope you have had a great week!
Language Arts- I decided this time to just make you a copy of their score sheet from last week's test. You may keep this sheet. IT seems comprehension and decoding are the most difficult areas. This week's decoding is focusing on breaking up words with the VCCV pattern. That means they break the word up between the two consonants. For example: hap*pen. This should be an easier skill. I know our old series worked on this too. The comprehension questions are definitely higher order thinking. They are more challenging for the kids. They really need to slow down and make sure they understand what is being asked.

This week's story focused on two kids running for a class election. The boy Rudy was very informal in his speech. The girl Miata was the opposite. She was using formal language. We have discussed this quite a bit. I have a feeling it will appear on their  test. We also worked on vocabulary words and using our context because many words have more than one meaning. I find that led into their spelling worksheet on Tuesday as well. It even threw me when I was helping students!!! They really need to look at what that word means in the sentence.

Math- I think we are about half way through our chapter. We are going to be working on estimating whole numbers and decimals. We will also be working on adding and subtracting of decimals.

Religion- They had their first test on Tuesday. We also worked on the Blessed Trinity. They had to work on drawing a picture of something that represented three in one. Each piece would represent the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They will be posted in the hallway soon! I will give them their parts for our prayer service on Friday. I did half of the class this time and will do the other half at our next mass.

Book Order- I am sending a book order home in your child's folder.  Please return them by Friday, Sept. 20. IF you are writing a check...make it out to me or Scholastic Books.  I am also attaching the code from Scholastic. You can go to their website and order online if you like and I will make sure you to give your child their book when it arrives. www.scholastic.com   The code is DVT3G/

On September 23, the public school doesn't have school for a professional development day. We DO have school that day. You will have to get your kids on that day and pick them up! (This will save us in May when they are still in school and we aren't.)

Field Trip-- Your child needs a sack lunch and drink on Tuesday for our trip. Dress appropriately. It looks like the heat will be down!!! We are leaving at 8:30 and should be back around 1:30-1:45. They will be able to catch the bus!
Have a GREAT weekend! I am heading home to Doon.  God Bless, Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment