Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hello Parents,
In your folder is a letter from me. It is more of a description of what to expect in 5th grade. It covers the classes, birthdays, lateslips,etc.
Reading- This week we are taking an assessment test. This is part of our new series. It will give me a little look into how your child does in all areas of reading. It works on vocabulary, decoding, spelling, comprehension, and writing. I also gave them a spelling test over 30 words. This also gives me an idea of where your child is when it comes to spelling. I am able to differentiate for your children based on those scores. It will be interesting for sure!!! I think the reading series is going to be more challenging for all of us..teachers and students! It really works with our Iowa Core which is necessary these days! Next week I will begin with lesson one.
Math- They took a test on Wednesday over all areas in math. This gives me an idea of what they know in math and what we still have to learn. We will begin with place value. We work from billions to thousandths! We are starting that focus on Thursday!
Religion- Our year will begin with knowing how to locate a verse in the Bible. This should be somewhat of a review for them because we did this last year too.
Field Trip-- The 5th graders will have a field trip to Ellston,Iowa on September 17. This is part of their Iowa History unit in social studies. Normally, Mrs. Sickels takes them, but due to her surgery, I will be going along! I haven't gone in quite awhile, so I am excited! We are going to visit the Ringgold County Historical Museum. I will need drivers. I also need to let you know there is more to just saying "yes" now. There is some more paper work involved as well as watching a video on driving online. Mr. Walsh has this information. If you can drive us that day, please let me know as soon as possible. You should contact the office about the paperwork and the video to watch beforehand. I will need room for 22 kids!
The week has gone very well! I am enjoying getting to know your kids better each day! I think we are off to a great start! Have a great weekend!  Ms. Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment