Thursday, October 8, 2026

 Hello Parents,  I love seeing the sun! I know the kids are excited to be able to go across the street for recess once again! 

 Calendar Dates:

Oct. 12- Green Valley Day for younger grades/ Wear Mismatched Clothes

Oct. 12-16 Coin Wars for FBLA

Oct. 15- Bring your stuffed animal to school

Oct. 16- Spirit Day/ Fancy Hat Day

Oct. 26-30 - Parent Teacher Conference Week

Oct. 28- Halloween Parade at 1:15

Nov. 11- Book Report Due


Reading- They took their weekly test on Tuesday! Lots of great scores on that one!!! You will see their score sheet in their Take Home Folder.  I think part of that was due to the story being fiction instead of nonfiction. Kids typically do better on those.  On Thursday we will start the module test (unit test). I am breaking this up over two days. They will finish it on Friday. 

I assigned the first book report. They have a bright pinkish packet with the different projects. They will choose only one!  I think they all have chosen a book, but I also told them that they have until Tuesday, Oct. 13 to decide if they like it or want to change. 

When it comes time to do the project- much of it can be done at school in their free time. I would say the Book in the Bag and the Diorama would be at home projects. 

Halloween Story- They are going to begin the process of writing one, but I am giving them a packet so we can break down our ideas and get specific on the characters, setting, plot, and conflict. I found a packet that looks like it will be a huge help, especially for the kids who struggle coming up with a story. The goal will be to have those on the wall in the hallways as well for you to read during conference week. 

Math- We started our new chapter of adding and subtracting decimals. Our first lesson is on estimating the decimals and then being able to add or subtract them. Most of those could be done mentally,but there were a couple that are harder to do that way. So we are going to practice some more on estimating  and then finding the actual sum or difference as well. 

Religion- They are working on passing their prayers! They have drawn out all the Mysteries of the Rosary. Once they share those in class, we will hang in the hallway for all to see. They did those a lot faster than I expected. We will go to the chapel to pray the Rosary once a week. Next week,  we will start a new chapter in the book. 

Coin Wars starts on Monday. You will find a flyer with more information in your Take Home Folders. 

Fire Prevention Week is this week. We will once again do our fire posters in grades 3-5. I am going to talk about it to the 5th graders during art on Friday.

Diocese Virtus Lessons- I am sending home a permission slip to you in the Take Home Folder. You ONLY sign it and return if you DO NOT want your child to participate in the lesson. If you do want them to participate- don't send the letter back. In the letter is a brief description about the lesson I will be teaching.  We are doing this two times during the year.  If your child doesn't participate, I will send them down to the office with their chapter book to read while I teach it.  My plan is to teach it on Monday, October 12. So I will need any of the "no" letters returned by Monday , or I will assume you want your child in the lesson. 

 FAST Scores are in your child's Take Home Folder. Reading and Math interventions will be starting soon. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I am going to Waukee on Saturday with my brother and sister-in-law. We are participating in the ALS Walk. We lost our sister Penny to this disease in January. 

God Bless,

Miss Surma

No comments:

Post a Comment