Hello Parents, It has been a great week so far! I hope the kids are having a great week!
Calendar Dates:
Aug. 28- Spirit Day- $1 for hats/ sweatpants
Sept. 2- Welcome Back Picnic 5 pm-6 pm
Sept. 7- Labor Day/ No School
Sept. 10- Green Valley Day Grades 5-8
Sept. 11- Spirit Day
Sept. 16- PTO Meeting
Sept. 23- 5th Grade Mass
Reading- We are starting our first story today! In 5th grade, our stories are typically longer than in the past. Due to everything I need to cover with them... I don't usually get it done in a week's time. I gave them their first spelling pretest today. I will email or write it in this blog when the post test will happen, but it won't be a Monday pretest and a Friday post test to give them time to study. I DO give them a copy of the words to study. They can take that home to practice with you or maybe practice on a car ride to their practices or on the way to school. So if they tell you they don't have a list of words to study from...ask again! They do! 😀
Reading tests- Last year I didn't have them do their reading tests on the computers and plan on doing that again. The kids liked it more that way. The other nice thing is that doing it on paper allows for them to correct it and get some extra points back...just like I do on a math test!
Math- our first lesson will focus on exponents. This first chapter focuses on place value. We will also do time tests weekly! I only cover multiplication and division. I have already started them on Xtra Math which also focuses on math facts. It does cover addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. A big focus in 5th grade will be long division and fractions.
Religion- We will start the year out focusing on learning how to locate a Bible passage. Our next chapter covers creation. In the spring the 5th graders take a standardized religion test called ACRE. Second and eighth graders also take the test. October is a big month for 5th graders in religion. We work on the rosary knowing and understanding the Mysteries of the Rosary as well as knowing a couple more prayers.
Spirit Day- Friday, August 28 is our first one! The kids can wear sweats and/ or a hat for $1!!
Interventions- Some of you will find a paper in your child's folder that you need to sign so we can begin our math and reading interventions. Please return ASAP.
If you missed my email this summer I mentioned my Facebook page for our room. If you're on Facebook just look up St. Malachy Fabulous Fifth Grade and ask to join. I will let you in once you have asked for permission. I will share this blog there and in your emails.
Assignment Books- I will start signing them tonight! That means you have to sign them too! My rule is if they don't get it signed 3 days in a row that will be a late slip. Those will start on Monday!!! We also stressed to the 3-5th graders that this is THEIR responsibility as a student to get it signed. They cannot blame you! It is not your job to find the assignment book in their bag. It is their job to give it to you. In 5th grade, I really work on them taking more responsibility for their learning and work. They need to be ready for more independence in middle school.
Welcome Back Picnic is set for Wednesday, September 2 from 5-6 pm. Each family is supposed to bring a side dish hot or cold OR a dessert of some kind. Make sure to bring your lawn chairs or a blanket! Hope to see you there! 🌭🍪
I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend! I will be at the bookstore on Saturday with our guest author and then attending the Bishop's Dinner in Des Moines with some of the other teachers.
God Bless,
Miss Surma
No comments:
Post a Comment